8 bolt rims that are 16" & will fit hubcaps.....??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have been surfing around with little success on finding regular plain old 16 inch steel rims with 8 lugs for my 76 GMC dually (not typical dually dogdish style rims). I don't need them right away, but at some point.

I also want to be able to fit my GMC hubcaps on the rims if I decide to use them. I have been watching on craigslist, surfed e-bay, and google searches too...

I don't want to run the original rims (16.5 x 8.75) because the tire options are not good (2 height options for O.D. and neither works for me) and I need a specific height tire due to my lowering kit.

Anyone have any suggestions? A 16" rim could really open up a lot of options for tires.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
these work

You must be registered for see images attach

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Don't know where you are in Minnesota, but here's a set of 4 GM wheels on Minneapolis CL for $200. The OEM GM non-dually wheels are 16"x 6.5". If you find some OBS Ford wheels they will be 16"x 7". Both should work with your stock hub caps.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/pts/d/circle-pines-37-tsl-radials/7197641104.html

When doing your search on CL try the following searches: 8 lug or 8x6.5.

I might have to contact him, I would need 2 more. Maybe he would remove the tires and sell the rims for cheaper as I would rather not dispose the tires.

I am probably 45 minutes to an hour from Minneapolis, not a problem there! I am in a tiny town called West Concord, MN that is west/northwest of Rochester, MN.

these work

Yes, those would work if they are 16's!! Do you have any laying around, or need to trade any parts (I love trading stuff)? I plan to put them in my blaster to clean them up and paint them, so a bit of rust is fine with me too.

I really just want rims that have a LOT more tire options.....and I don't want custom rims on this thing, just stock.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
these are stock wheels, and unfortunately i only have split rims of similar design(Not safe, they are rusting badly mostly) I have 2 that are technically extra but one is my spare and the other will be my trailer spare but its the design you would need.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I did do some craiglist surfing, and found some further away with tires which I don't need so I could try to work some deals. First (which I did not think about until now) I have made a few calls to some local junkyards to see if they have anything like this.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Old blue, Imma little perplexed trying to figure out what you're going to do with 6 srw wheels on a dually?
I've seen/done srw hubs up front, but what are you planning for the rear axle?
US Wheel and Wheel vintiques sells exactly what you're looking for, fwiw.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Old blue, Imma little perplexed trying to figure out what you're going to do with 6 srw wheels on a dually?
I've seen/done srw hubs up front, but what are you planning for the rear axle?
US Wheel and Wheel vintiques sells exactly what you're looking for, fwiw.

This dually in particular does not have those style hubs, and did not have the dogdish style rims in rear, nor up front. The front has regular big rotors and clip on style caliper, and regular rims. The rearend is not a dana 60, it is the 14 bolt corporate rearend. The rear rims are regular, with big hex extensions and a large center hub to go between rims. That's why I am looking for used regular rims. Those sites you mention have very nice rims, but I don't want to spend that much.....well, yet that is.

You can check out the truck (I believe I have pictured what is mentioned above) in this thread here;

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-dually-gotta-get-it-on-the-road-again.29806/

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Guess I’ve never seen this before.
Very interesting. Originally like that or?

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Guess I’ve never seen this before.
Very interesting. Originally like that or?

That I am not sure of. Some here speculated it could have at one time been a 1 ton single rear, and had a dually kit put on. I am not sure however? If these GM trucks are anything like the vintage snowmobile world (another hobby of mine), I could see it coming from the factory like that too, but I am not sure GM just threw stuff together to use things up, or if these extensions and rim spacers are even GM.

Hard to tell, the best I could do is find those numbers, or contact the guy I got it from to see if the previous owner did this, or bought it from someone else.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ Not to hijack your thread but I googled a bunch of years duallys and not one like it popped up. Methinks a conversion. And a cool one at that.
I’d be skeptical of doing real work with a massive hub “extender” in back.

RE vintage sleds, what’s a 1980 Trail Cat 4000, all original down to everything but the windshield worth? Got one that I have zero use for but don’t want to part with for the same $250 I bought it for. Was a good learner sled for the kids about 10 years ago. Now sits.
Also look at Seattle Craigslist. There’s a guy selling 3 mint early 80s Skidoo Citation SS sleds and a mint El Tigre 6000
If I had more connections in the Midwest in those circles I’d consider buying them. (Not for what he’s asking...)

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
^ Not to hijack your thread but I googled a bunch of years duallys and not one like it popped up. Methinks a conversion. And a cool one at that.
I’d be skeptical of doing real work with a massive hub “extender” in back.

RE vintage sleds, what’s a 1980 Trail Cat 4000, all original down to everything but the windshield worth? Got one that I have zero use for but don’t want to part with for the same $250 I bought it for. Was a good learner sled for the kids about 10 years ago. Now sits.
Also look at Seattle Craigslist. There’s a guy selling 3 mint early 80s Skidoo Citation SS sleds and a mint El Tigre 6000
If I had more connections in the Midwest in those circles I’d consider buying them. (Not for what he’s asking...)

I think it is a cool conversion, and I do NOT plan on big pulling beyond our camper....if that, just because now that it is lowered the receiver is very close to the ground, which could be changed easily enough.

As for the Trail Cat, man that is awfully new for me! I collect late 60's and early 70's Polaris's mostly, I have two Cat's and a Sno-Jet in the collection. Heck, I wouldn't be able to give price advice on an '80 Polaris, not familiar with them.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I was confused too. it sounds like a conversion to me. highdesertranger

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think it is a cool conversion, and I do NOT plan on big pulling beyond our camper....if that, just because now that it is lowered the receiver is very close to the ground, which could be changed easily enough.

As for the Trail Cat, man that is awfully new for me! I collect late 60's and early 70's Polaris's mostly, I have two Cat's and a Sno-Jet in the collection. Heck, I wouldn't be able to give price advice on an '80 Polaris, not familiar with them.

Poolaris? Them's fightin words! Lol Trail Cat > Arctic Cat
Just kidding though, I have Poo a Cat and a Husqvarna in the snomachine trailer. I'm not prejudiced!

What Cats? My first "good" sled as a kid was a '72 Panther 440. Rode the snot out of that thing....in the mid 80's, when it was considered old at that time!

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Poolaris? Them's fightin words! Lol Trail Cat > Arctic Cat
Just kidding though, I have Poo a Cat and a Husqvarna in the snomachine trailer. I'm not prejudiced!

What Cats? My first "good" sled as a kid was a '72 Panther 440. Rode the snot out of that thing....in the mid 80's, when it was considered old at that time!

Ok, I am gunna hijack my own thread now, you got me on a roll.... :favorites37: Sweet, a 72 Panther 440!! That is ONE of my Cat's. In fact, I have my grandmothers all original 72 Cat Panther 340 also that she bought new in 72.

Here is a picture. On the left is my dad's 71 Polaris TX 300 he bought new from the Jeep dealership in the town I now live in, next to it my my grandmother's 72 Panther she bought this a town over from us, and on the right is my 72 Panther 440 with a 69 Cat Mod hood on it.

Here I am with 3 of my Polaris's up in International Falls for an event we did every year. On left is a 71 TX with a 400 twin (later I stuffed in a 530 free air/twin race pipes/clutched..etc.), next to that is my prize possession 71 TX Racer 795 triple (called a 2+1) which I sold about 9 years back, and next to that is my 71 Polaris Voyager that had 17 original miles on it!

Here is that same above TX (that had a 400) shown with the 530 twin/twin pipes. And a nice shot of my 72 Panther, which is one of my favorite trail riding sleds, it rides like a Caddy!

Here are some others I have owned, from left is a 69 Polaris Charger with a 69 TX Racer 400cc single free air & megaphone, my dads 71 TX, my 71 795 racer, 71 TX 530, and the last one is a 72 TX 500 Limited triple cylinder (also a free air).

My garage at one time when I was also doing snowmobile restorations on the side....can't tell by the blue paint all over the floor :anitoof:

Ok, I am done now. I could talk sleds & square bodies all day long....