79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
gettin' somewhere lol

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
gettin' somewhere lol

Damn thats lookin NICE!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Must be feeling better now, eh?

Looking good too!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Must be feeling better now, eh?

Looking good too!
yea man finally getting over the flu, however some of the work took place all during this winter when we had warmer days.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well she's back on all 4's.....

this escalated quickly...

I'm amazed at it having rust under all the layers of paint on that pass. side rear and never showing any signs. I also wonder wtf were they doing with those straight line gouges in the roof around the sunroof? It's like it as a saw horse at one time.

I'm not sure if I had mentioned it but after installing the old tank I smelled gas fumes bad, dropped it again to inspect thinking it was the sending unit o ring, turns out the vent line was leaking around the big solder joint and the line broke off flush when i touched it so I had to buy a new tank and install.

I also have new air shocks on back, the new leafs, poly bushings, new shackle kit, the jegs dual exhaust with flow monster single chambers, yes monster not master they are cheaper version made by flowmaster themselves.

I've also installed the lower 1/4 patches front and rear on the driver's side, and that side trunk drop off. I also finished the torque box frame rail patch in the pass. side. I plated over the torque box with 3/16 instead of sheet metal LOL.

Now what she needs, gauges hooked up and installed (factory) front shocks, glass glued in front and rear, 2 tires to match the fronts on my new wheels waiting to go on, then bodywork of course, which is kinda started. I am looking to drive it before paint most likely but they may turn around like always.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
gettin' somewhere lol

Damn old friend nice job!

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome Car. I own two Second Gen Camaros. 1980 Z28 and a 1978 RS/LT with the factory Z28 running gear. I have owned over 100 Second Gen F Bodies. I still have a bunch of parts laying around for Camaros. Anyway, nice ride.

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I miss my 79 was a damn great handling driving all around awesome car.
I paid 700 for it way back when . Drove it home actually. Pouring trans fluid hood popped on me , didn’t damage it ..and I was smiling all the way home .. gave it away basically, now there priceless it seems ..great job Swims I know it’s been tough ! Have fun with it!!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
forgot to post this.....

I put the taillights back in after that and no I did not push her out she drove out and in, today was the second time. I gotta check trans fluid. I've also had alot of carb troubles with a new edelbrock 600 e choke, got a second new, same issue, went back to old faithful, the one that was on this engine in dads truck. I just changed plugs yesterday, weird thing is now she's cold natured? I've got a new 600 holley e choke to put on it sometime soon.

Also wasn't happy with the hood, stripped it again, used some loctite extend rust neutralizer on it, and today hit it with epoxy primer. I'm having trouble with both my old paint guns, got a new one on order, and now have to find another respirator, mines falling apart it's so old. Next up re-strip roof, epoxy, bodywork hood and roof(yes I'm doing epoxy first, filler over) trying to avoid rust. Also bodywork on the driver's 1/4's I patched and the ds door I had stripped on the bottom, gotta epoxy that first as well.

Wife is almost dead set on doing it in plum crazy purple, not 100 percent on how I feel on that. She wants that and the 5 shades of blue bird on it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
forgot to post this.....

I put the taillights back in after that and no I did not push her out she drove out and in, today was the second time. I gotta check trans fluid. I've also had alot of carb troubles with a new edelbrock 600 e choke, got a second new, same issue, went back to old faithful, the one that was on this engine in dads truck. I just changed plugs yesterday, weird thing is now she's cold natured? I've got a new 600 holley e choke to put on it sometime soon.

Also wasn't happy with the hood, stripped it again, used some loctite extend rust neutralizer on it, and today hit it with epoxy primer. I'm having trouble with both my old paint guns, got a new one on order, and now have to find another respirator, mines falling apart it's so old. Next up re-strip roof, epoxy, bodywork hood and roof(yes I'm doing epoxy first, filler over) trying to avoid rust. Also bodywork on the driver's 1/4's I patched and the ds door I had stripped on the bottom, gotta epoxy that first as well.

Wife is almost dead set on doing it in plum crazy purple, not 100 percent on how I feel on that. She wants that and the 5 shades of blue bird on it.
Ive read before that depending on your stuff sometimes you should epoxy first especially for the reason you said so. im guessing since epoxy can also be high build relative to normal paint it also may decrease the need ?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Ive read before that depending on your stuff sometimes you should epoxy first especially for the reason you said so. im guessing since epoxy can also be high build relative to normal paint it also may decrease the need ?
it does, like on this hood it had pits everywhere and it helped fill those in.

However after doing so today, filler over epoxy, never again. If you try to blend or feather edge the work it gets into the soft epoxy and gums paper badly it just balls up. So on the roof, I just ground it down in the dents, and applied filler, and sanding. Once done I'll epoxy the entire roof, and right after hit it with 2k high build, then block, and if need be apply some glazing putty. I can then reapply more high build and re-block or if it seems good enough and smooth enough, just wait and use sealer before I lay color.

Also, wished I had bought my last filler, the high teck filler, I've got usc special lite and it's being a pain, being harder, thicker, not as smooth/creamy as the last time I used this very same filler, or the HT brand.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it does, like on this hood it had pits everywhere and it helped fill those in.

However after doing so today, filler over epoxy, never again. If you try to blend or feather edge the work it gets into the soft epoxy and gums paper badly it just balls up. So on the roof, I just ground it down in the dents, and applied filler, and sanding. Once done I'll epoxy the entire roof, and right after hit it with 2k high build, then block, and if need be apply some glazing putty. I can then reapply more high build and re-block or if it seems good enough and smooth enough, just wait and use sealer before I lay color.

Also, wished I had bought my last filler, the high teck filler, I've got usc special lite and it's being a pain, being harder, thicker, not as smooth/creamy as the last time I used this very same filler, or the HT brand.
Is it a matter of if it was able to cure first? which would be like, what, a month? Not reasonable if that was the case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes