79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wasn't sure, the pic just made it look crusty. I didn't remember that being a bad spot on the car, but it's been a while since I was there last and I don't even remember for sure if the rear glass was out then, lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I don't know either.I think so? if it was on it's side when you were here last then it was out. I'm actually getting ready to tint the back glass in the next day or so.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, you had it tipped on the jig when I was there.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it was off or out then. I did find another pic this morning though....

You must be registered for see images attach

see all the gunk? I swear it's like all that crap squished out from under the glass and ending up on the outside edge of the glass, trim and channel

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

These 75 grand am seats seem to look like your seats, do you know the name of them like a series or company etc.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I don't but I did see where something I was looking at said they'd fit many gm high back seats. Your's look to be more like the older TA one's or some call em horse collar type. I can tell you the backs on yours are like the deluxe firebird seats were they have the entire back plastic instead of only the bottom like mine.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't but I did see where something I was looking at said they'd fit many gm high back seats. Your's look to be more like the older TA one's or some call em horse collar type. I can tell you the backs on yours are like the deluxe firebird seats were they have the entire back plastic instead of only the bottom like mine.
mines a 75 grand am oddly enough, not even a high equipped one pretty bare bones stock as far as they went.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

to my understanding the steering wheel is rare-er and the floor shift for a th400 is also something you didnt see everyday. AM only radio, no ac... not full gauges, but not the dummy lights either, base engine(400 with 2 barrel) but other weird crazy things for the era.

I wish it werent wasting away Id love to drive it

Has a lot of good, cool stuff tho... one day ill get it parted out to the bare bones and others will be able to restore parts of theirs with some of it and I will have a lot of cool keep sakes.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

to my understanding the steering wheel is rare-er and the floor shift for a th400 is also something you didnt see everyday. AM only radio, no ac... not full gauges, but not the dummy lights either, base engine(400 with 2 barrel) but other weird crazy things for the era.

I wish it werent wasting away Id love to drive it

Has a lot of good, cool stuff tho... one day ill get it parted out to the bare bones and others will be able to restore parts of theirs with some of it and I will have a lot of cool keep sakes.

I still think that one's one of the coolest on your lot.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I still think that one's one of the coolest on your lot.
me too. it has the most "stuff" value to me at least, because 400 pontiac, not-bad interior parts like the cluster, console shifter, seats, etc, the wheels are cool and will be useful, th400, the air cleaner, the column, (wheel especially),

its also got those "fog" or whatever lights plus the turn signals down low on the bumper.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you all are pretty well caught up but here's the latest youtube vid...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is truly one heck of a project. I have huge respect for the work you are doing on this old Pontiac. I was only a child when that car was new and there were very few of them around. I didn't know anyone who owned one back then, they were rare, classy and mysterious.

The first thing I notice on these cars is the pin stripes. They came with a LOT of pin striping from the factory and a lot of restorations ignore that part so I tend to start "judging" from there.

I am very fortunate to have access to one now, my favorite ex-brother-in-law has one that is almost completely original and is in excellent shape. I have driven it to a few local car shows when he had to drive something else and it is always a crowd favorite. He had it at Cruising the Coast this past October and it got a lot of attention.

I am not sure if it is polite to post pics of this car in your restoration thread, I hope this is proper Forum Etiquette...

Attachments

• Trans Am.jpg
    Trans Am.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Trans Am and Vicknair.jpg
    Trans Am and Vicknair.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Trans Am and Truck.jpg
    Trans Am and Truck.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 54

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOl don't bother me none I love seeing em, post away.

I've actually got more done, but things just put in temp. since the weather got bad. I hope to finalize them when the weather breaks.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
LOl don't bother me none I love seeing em, post away.

I've actually got more done, but things just put in temp. since the weather got bad. I hope to finalize them when the weather breaks.
I am fortunate that I get to play with a few different classic vehicles even though the only one I own is my '87 GMC. The Trans Am gets a LOT of attention, I think the gold paint may draw them in as much as the car itself. I was in my square body at Cruising the Coast this past October while the Favorite Ex-Brother-in-Law was driving the Trans Am. There were about 9,500 registered classics at that event and I didn't see anything that got as much attention as that gold Trans Am. There were certainly a lot of vehicles there that were more valuable but people really seemed to enjoy that car.

I look forward to seeing the rest of this unfold. You are going to have something unique and wonderful when you are done...although these things are never really "done".

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Swims350 I snapped a few pics of the interior of the Trans Am this evening. I thought you might appreciate some shots of an all original interior along with the OE stereo/8 Track Player. Folks at car shows are really impressed with that 8 track player, just a thought for you as you complete your restoration. That radio is always a Big Deal and we make it a point to showcase that at every car show now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1