79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Woah! What? Did you save the good stuff at least? We need details.

Why?!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But Chris is an easy going fella. I know it sucks when you uncover that much rust, but the car was completely disassembled and ready for the upswing.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Yeah I know, I was following this. The one line 'I scrapped this pos' doesn't necessarily mean he drove it to the crusher and pushed the button. Maybe he just scrapped to project for the garage space and someone else is putting it back together.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well after alot of issues trying to weld and get anything done plus health issues, and trying to do alot of things around the house, kids school, grass cutting mine and old man's, working on the wife's daily, and all that other BS.

I got some work done LOl just messing with yall. Sorry. I had to learn to weld, get a full face auto dim helemt to be able to see, still not great but I think she's good. I've got more to weld on the center tunnel, and the torque box covering I'm working on now, it's thicker, ALOT easier to weld. I also began removing the other bad pan. I just haven't done much in the last week after installing the new pool for the kids.

Don't mind the silver paint, just needed something to protect it while I do the rest. I plan to remove it all and epoxy or something like chassisaver the entire thing top and bottom. I also plan to flip the roll over jig around ad tip it up the other way to allow for better axxess on some parts for welding. Yes there's more grinding and more welding in order in quite a few spots.

Big thanks to those who are following this build. I know it's slow but it's getting there.

You must be registered for see images attach

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Ha ha! Not as funny a story as pushing the crusher button though.

Paint more silver, these really look good in silver.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you know hoestnly I plan on using the chassis saver silver, as it has more alum. fiers to help fill in like pits and such, should work nice for my **** welds, grinds and rust it has.

I also want to do something like a raptor liner or at least undercoating under the bottom. The top I'm fine with just doing a epoxy or chassis saver but had considering doing top and bottom the same.

Biggest goal long term protection.

Also need advice on seam sealer, gonna need a 55 gallon drum LMAO. I'm thinking brush on for tight areas, where the metal is tight, and caulk gun style for the larger gaps? I was also thinking to do the chassis saver or epoxy first, seam seal, then go back over the sealer. I used weld thru primer on all overlapping joints, and I even hit the underside of the rear pan, front pan, inside the braces and torque box in chassis saver before hand.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh my God, you just about gave me a heart attack!!! Don't do that again! Lol

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Same here ,Andy. Thought he went off the deep end!! DON'T DO THAT Chris!!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
HA I'm too deep into it to take that kind of loss. I sold one with probably less rot to Andy, and gave away a lifted square with some frame cracks and floor rot for this so gotta stop at some point and fix something.

I've came close alot of times. Mostly due to me not being able to get things done due to health or just other things coming up. It's just gonna take longer, do what I can when I can. Summer is here so I doubt I get much done. Heat and kids, doesn't equal up to much work on my end usually.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I just gasped for a moment haha. Good one. I was like what the hell happened to piss him off that much!

Glad you're making progress.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I read a quote the other day, "Your speed doesn't matter, forward is forward."

Looking good.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Also need advice on seam sealer, gonna need a 55 gallon drum LMAO. I'm thinking brush on for tight areas, where the metal is tight, and caulk gun style for the larger gaps? I was also thinking to do the chassis saver or epoxy first, seam seal, then go back over the sealer. I used weld thru primer on all overlapping joints, and I even hit the underside of the rear pan, front pan, inside the braces and torque box in chassis saver before hand.

I use the 3m Ultrapro. I use a glove and smear it wherever it needs to go, then paint over it later. In production it's applied to bare metal, but I always paint, apply, then paint over it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin