78 k10 stalls when in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevysmallblock

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
:favorites13: hey everyone i have a few issues going on here that i cant seem to resolve, ill give you the run down first i bought a 78 k10 a few years ago someone had swapped a drive train out of a 87 burban into it so it was tbi 350/700r4, now it ran and drove ok but i wanted to swap it back to how it should have been so i did all the swap, intake,distributor, carb, fuel psi regulator, and tore the ecm out,... and i also put a cam in it (not the one i wanted) but it is a .466 .487 lift cam it idles really lopey (also i noticed it said 2500 stall converter)(i have stock converter in it still) but my main issue is when i put her in gear it stalls out on me... ive tried messing with the timing 4,6,8,10,12,14 degrees, nothing helped its idling a about 850rpm, prior to all of this the trans was fine.. im pretty lost and i adjusted my idle mixture with a vacuum gauge its only reading about 15 psi.. some help would really be appreciated , thank you in advance

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Does the transmission still have the wiring for the torque converter clutch hooked up? Check that somehow a path to ground is not getting to the TCC solenoid. There are too many different wiring variations to discuss, but if you just pull the connector apart...that will definitely eliminate the TCC as the problem. It should be a 4 pin plug (maybe only 3 sockets are used).

I think that starting in 1987, control over TCC engagement was primarily a function of the ECM. It relied on various inputs to decide whether conditions were right to lock the transmission up. Those inputs included: coolant temp, road speed above 35, steady output from the TPS (i.e. not accelerating or decelerating at a rapid rate), brakes not applied, and that the transmission was in at least 3rd gear.

I realize that the ECM was designed to only supply a ground path for the solenoid if & when all of the above permissives were met - but with all the changes you made, maybe something was overlooked or mis-wired.

The hot side of the solenoid is supplied with voltage through the gauge fuse and the only thing between the fuse and the positive connection of the solenoid coil is the brake switch. When the brakes are applied, the NC switch on the brake pedal arm is opened and power to the coil is cut off. And it is also probably a safe assumption that when you move the gear shift lever out of P/N, you have the brakes applied. Does it stall out if you do not apply the brakes when shifting into gear?

Of course having said all that, for the TCC to energize (in addition to possibly getting 12 VDC on the positive side) would require a ground path for the negative side.

Another possibility is that I am totally wrong - and the TCC has nothing to do with why you are stalling out.

Last edited:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
What if you rev it up to like 2-2.5k and drop it in drive?
I have absolutely no clue btw... Just following along lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1