77 Power Steering Bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerron Alexander

Reaction score
First Name
Jerron
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
a friend of my fathers recently brought his 77 c10 to me to take a look at a squealing belt he has had for 15+ years... right away I can see it is horribly misaligned.. he said he had the engine replaced abut 15 years ago and the guy misplaced the original bracket and put this one on that he had laying around and it has been squealing ever since.. I have been searching and searching to no definite answer as to what bracket should be on here... it appears there is a missing bracket that goes from the upper mount(where the guy shoved 5 washers to the 2 bolt holes in the Drivers head) in picture #1 to space it out properly and I also noticed there is no bracket from the block to the rear stud of the power steering pump which I can see would cause movement barely moving it by hand.. at this point I would just like to buy a complete bracket kit don't really care if Factory style or Aftermarket.. hopefully someone has more knowledge in this areas and can point me in the right direction of a good bracket.

You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's my 78 PS set up.

The bracket that has the square hole in it is used for the AC compressor to get the belt tight IIRC.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I can't see the misalignment from the pics but the washers aren't bad, my engine uses a stud and spacer in the same spot.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
To me that looks like a nightmare. I hate dealing with misaligned pulleys to begin with, let alone one with the wrong bracket. If you could find the proper mount and spacers that obviously would be the best. But with trial and error, you could get it pretty close with the current bracket, provided that the bracket will hold the pump straight and that it isn't bent. Keeping in mind that not only is there simply the matter of moving the entire unit closer or further from the engine but it could also be closer at the top than at the bottom or on the sides..... You can get spacers at the hardware store, which will put less stress on the bolts that doing the washer stack.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Is the ps pump’s pulley square to the other pulleys, but it’s just too far in or out? If the axes (axis pl) are parallel between the pulleys and you just need to work on the depth, it is possible that it could be corrected with a puller/press and/or washer thickness. The ps pulley is just press fit and is depth adjustable to an extent.

I know you’re looking for a different bracket, but in the meantime you could pull your belts and use a straight edge to determine if the pulleys are parallel. If not, adding or subtracting washers in the right corners can get you there. Then get as flush as possible. Minor depth adjustments can be made with the pulley puller/press.

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
Your bracket looks good, same as my '76. my spacer is 3/8" thick, i'd check/add washers or buy a new spacer.

PDSM

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a similar problem with my '76. There was a change to the PSP mounting between '76 and '77, affecting both the bracket and the water pump. PO did an engine swap with a newer engine, and I ended up with a '76 bracket and later water pump. See the thread at https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/new-guy-needs-help-with-ps-pump.17435/#post-331072. I'm guessing your engine swap may have cause the same problem, though you may have the opposite combination (newer PSP bracket with older water pump) as I had.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
The pic almost looks to me like the belt should be on the inner pulley of the P.S. pump and not the outer one but the pic could be deceiving. That inner pulley is pretty dented up but they can be beat back into shape pretty easily.

My 86 has the same P.S. pump, bracket and double pulley but I have another bracket on top for the AC compressor.
My P.S. pump has a double pulley like yours and the inner pulley just goes to the crank and the outer pulley goes to a second pulley on the crank and the AC compressor.
If you don't have AC I'd bet you should only have a single pulley on the P.S. pump instead of a double pulley. Purely a guess on my part though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes