77 cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robe338

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1977, 1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Ive got a 77 cab. It needs floor pans and inner/outer rockers. A previous owner has cut a large hole in the firewall to snorkel air filters into the cab. I have access to a used panel to fix the firewall.

Im looking for opinions on if this cab would be worth saving or off to the scrap pile. I don't know if id try to build something with it or fix and sell it. I have someone wanting a section of the door jamb area. But I dont want to cut it up more if its worth saving.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Ive got a 77 cab. It needs floor pans and inner/outer rockers. A previous owner has cut a large hole in the firewall to snorkel air filters into the cab. I have access to a used panel to fix the firewall.

Im looking for opinions on if this cab would be worth saving or off to the scrap pile. I don't know if id try to build something with it or fix and sell it. I have someone wanting a section of the door jamb area. But I dont want to cut it up more if its worth saving.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Pics of damage?

robe338

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1977, 1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pics of damage?

Il try and get some tomorrow. Most of it is the usual rockers and floor pans. The firewall is basically a rectangle hole cut out where the heat/ac box was. Its a pretty big hole.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Really depends on the overall condition and extent of the rust damage and other mods that you need to repair. I have a build thread posted with pics where I am restoring a cab of similar vintage. In my case I had 2 cabs to choose from, the original 77 4WD and a separate 79 2WD. In my case I chose to restore the newer 79 cab mostly because it had rust free doors and virtually rust free firewall and HVAC plenum. In terms of floors, cab supports, etc they were nearly identical. Those parts area readily available. Everything for the firewall and plenum, minus a portion of the end caps, must be fabricated because there are no parts available. And in my case my choice also required a grafting of the original 4WD tunnel (both sections) because the 79 cab is (was) 2WD. All together, I still think I made the right decision.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Really depends on the overall condition and extent of the rust damage and other mods that you need to repair.
yep which is why I requested pics. A picture is truly worth a thousand words in cases like these.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
is the glass out of it? This is where I check for the final decision. When the flange that the windshield rubber pinches is gone I go looking for another cab.
Or right in front bottom of the windshield. This is another game changer if it's rusted out.
Also check the rear window flange too.

robe338

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1977, 1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heres some pics.

Outside
You must be registered for see images attach

This is looking through the glovebox area.

I have a body that already has pieces cut out of it that I could get the firewall panel from. I just dont know if its worth the trouble. The windshield channels look good as does the rest of the firewall. The floor pans need some love and the rockers need to be replaced.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
can you post pics of the floor and underside of the cab?

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What seems odd to me is the absence of the HVAC blower hole in the firewall. It appears they completely deleted the HVAC system with this snorkel conversion? That said, if you have another cab that you can cut this entire section of the firewall I wouldn't be afraid of tackling the job. This area of the firewall is fairly flat. But do know that you will also need the (left) outer plenum section from the donor. It's held in place with a bunch of spot welds. This is the piece that contains the blower mounting and has an integrated fan shroud. I removed both left and right ends while I was restoring my cab. Then just welded them back into place. Gives you much better access to the footwell area. See pics below.

robe338

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1977, 1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
can you post pics of the floor and underside of the cab?

I can get some tonight. I do have a cab to get the needed parts from. I've already removed the drivers side outer panel (that you highlighted) off the parts cab to fix another cab, so I know about all those spot welds.

I don't know if I'll ever use the 77 cab for anything. I'm going to use the bed and other bits on another truck so this cab will be extra.

That's why I don't know if this cab is worth the trouble to fix. I might just get the pieces needed off the parts truck and set it all aside till some other day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood