'75 top not 'fitting'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kerch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a 75 no problem on and off

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Not sure if this is the correct forum... correct me if it needs to go elsewhere.

I have a '75 Blazer - took off the top, put on new quarters, doors, front fenders, rockers, floors, tailgate (was a rust-bucket - is a project with my 15 year old son)...

Everything lines up pretty well except the top.

The tailgate, bolted to the original hinges, lines up perfectly with the rear quarters... doors line up with the rear quarters etc... but I cannot get the top to fit such that the window in the tailgate correctly lines up with the window channels in the top - its close but about 1/4 to 1/2 inch 'long' - if that makes sense.

Any thoughts?

I've owned two '71 Blazers - this is my first squarebody...

Thanks for any help.

You're definatly in the right place.
I too have a 75, have yet to take the top off, but everything lines up well.
Not sure what you mean by 'long'.

If you mean the window goes up, but doesn't close all the way, either the cap isn't seated right, or there's something jamming the crank mechanism. If there's a gap on the sides, all I can think of is that the fiberglass is week, and the side walls of the cap stretched out, but you'd see it over hanging the bed sides.
If you mean it's not lining up in the track, it must be that the cap is not aligned properly. Probably not seated at the windshield correctly, or there's a seal somewhere that's not right.
Its possible that, depending on how extensive the rear quarter work was, that maybe you have an excess of metal on the top of the bed rail.
Like if you had just over layed the rear quarter over the old one, without cutting out enough, maybe theres an extra layer of something it doesn't need, keeping the cap from seating correctly.
The only last thing I can think of, is maybe if the tailgate was off a later model Blazer/Jimmy, that maybe the glass is a different size, but I'm pretty sure they were all a standard size from 74 to 91.
I know my 84 is the same size as my 75.

If for some reason your cap is damaged, I'll sell mine to you. Not sure how far in Texas you are, but New Mexico is next door.

Definatly needs pics if you need any better advice. Eyes are better than words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko