75 k10 compressor upgrade from a6 to ht6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75k10hotrod

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Howdy. So I got a 75 k10 that I've owned for 6 years. I bought it when I was 16 and is my first truck. Ive put in a built 350 and changed out the 400 so I can build it and make 600hp reliably. It's summer here in kansas and I need ac back in this truck since it's my daily. I had the factory accessory setup in this truck but I put a vortec drive out of a 98 c1500. Question I got is what do I all have to do for the ht6 compressor to work right with the stock ac system. The lines will work and all but my worry is the orfice tube if it's gonna work with the compressor. Thanks

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
retrofit can be done one of two ways. The first is to follow the vehicle manufacturer recommended retrofit procedure. This generally involves removing all the old mineral oil from the system, replacing the accumulator or receiver/dryer with one that contains X-7 desiccant, replacing O-rings (if required), installing or replacing a high pressure cutout switch (which many shops seem to forget), changing the orifice tube or expansion valve (if required), then adding the specified PAG oil and recharging the system with R-134a. On some applications, installing a more efficient condenser may be recommended for improved cooling performance. After the modifications are made, the system is recharged to about 85 to 90% of its original capacity with R-134a.

The other approach to retrofit is the "quick and cheap" one. On many 1989 through 1993 vintage vehicles, R-12 A/C systems can be converted by simply recovering any refrigerant that is still in the system, adding POE oil (which is compatible with both types of refrigerant), and recharging to 85 to 90% capacity with R-134a.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8