75 C30 leaf spring hanger replacement/relocation queries.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have no clue if the hangers for the other year truck you posted will work. You could use C30 or K30 hangers, but the K series are longer by about 2". The ones from the 14' bed should work. Measure your wheel base. It will tell you if you have a chassis cab or a pickup chassis. My K30 is 131.5". The Chassis cab is 135.5". Both are about 34" wide at the rear of the frame. You could get a Silverado package on a chassis cab.

Based on you pictures, I'm going to say it's a chassis cab. Do your inside dually wheels track with the front tires? If not, that is consistent with the chassis cab 14 bolt rear versus the Dana 70 in a dually pick up. The blue truck has a chassis cab rear end on a standard bed. You can see in the second picture, the Dana 70 requires the use of dually fenders.

Pictures 3-5 are my truck. You can see how the 4WD hangers are longer and put the springs under the frame. If you have a Chassis cab axle, your drums should be closer to the spring than mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Right now at my junkyard, there are 4 c20s, a c10, and a c30, but it's a big 14 foot bed. Would hangers from that truck be the same? And also, they're riveted on, correct? How would you get them off?
I believe your left with the fun of drilling them out

also at first I thought you meant vin on the dash but you meant the dash plate. does it have the luxurious 75 wood grain m a l a i s e haha.

The dana 70 was used in the dually pickups from 73 to 87/91

It was a wide track axle;the 14 bolt GM axle was used on c/k30 cab and chassis and single wheel pickups.

This is what keeps coming up in searches, I dont know that it changes anything about your search or leaf spring thing, But since the frame isnt narrower like chassis cab, I think you have Dana 70HD

Unless it was a kit conversion to a srw 14

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have no clue if the hangers for the other year truck you posted will work. You could use C30 or K30 hangers, but the K series are longer by about 2". The ones from the 14' bed should work. Measure your wheel base. It will tell you if you have a chassis cab or a pickup chassis. My K30 is 131.5". The Chassis cab is 135.5". Both are about 34" wide at the rear of the frame. You could get a Silverado package on a chassis cab.

Based on you pictures, I'm going to say it's a chassis cab. Do your inside dually wheels track with the front tires? If not, that is consistent with the chassis cab 14 bolt rear versus the Dana 70 in a dually pick up. The blue truck has a chassis cab rear end on a standard bed. You can see in the second picture, the Dana 70 requires the use of dually fenders.

Pictures 3-5 are my truck. You can see how the 4WD hangers are longer and put the springs under the frame. If you have a Chassis cab axle, your drums should be closer to the spring than mine.

Okay so maybe I wasnt crazy lol, Im not sure what it is for certain but what craig says makes sense. Thanks craig

Do you think it being a chassis cab or not would change the hanger/springs themselves(IE, does he ultimately need to know that for his original question or does does it just mean clarity :D)

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

I believe your left with the fun of drilling them out

also at first I thought you meant vin on the dash but you meant the dash plate. does it have the luxurious 75 wood grain m a l a i s e haha.

The dana 70 was used in the dually pickups from 73 to 87/91

It was a wide track axle;the 14 bolt GM axle was used on c/k30 cab and chassis and single wheel pickups.

This is what keeps coming up in searches, I dont know that it changes anything about your search or leaf spring thing, But since the frame isnt narrower like chassis cab, I think you have Dana 70HD

Unless it was a kit conversion to a srw 14
Hmmm, I did not know any of that, I didnt know there was a difference at all. That's really Interesting. I'll have to measure everything back there. I had no idea there were different width axles.
I could be a chassis cab, I'll have to decide the vin. Might also be a cab swap.
I've seen it from all angles, it seems wide, like the front wheel and the inner wheel line up and the outer one sticks out, but I might be wrong.
So if the front wheel lines up in the middle of the rear set, it's a commercial chassis with a 14 bolt, but if the outer wheel sticks farther out, it's a civilian chassis with a Dana 70?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hmmm, I did not know any of that, I didnt know there was a difference at all. That's really Interesting. I'll have to measure everything back there. I had no idea there were different width axles.
I could be a chassis cab, I'll have to decide the vin. Might also be a cab swap.
I've seen it from all angles, it seems wide, like the front wheel and the inner wheel line up and the outer one sticks out, but I might be wrong.
So if the front wheel lines up in the middle of the rear set, it's a commercial chassis with a 14 bolt, but if the outer wheel sticks farther out, it's a civilian chassis with a Dana 70?
well you did have a broken and crooked axle because of that hanger, yes? maybe it wont be so clear unless you get down and measure the spring perches/id the axle because your axle isnt going to b e right where it should. pics would also be able to be IDed visually by somone. and the whole frame is narrower i think CC at least post cab

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

This ******* says the rear of a 79 GMC chassis cab suspension wise is similar. This being DRW, aux leafs, and a muffler tip that is weird to me.
The

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've never had a chassis cab to compare, but I have had a 3+3 Dually. But from everything I've read, the answer to your statement is probably yes.

@AuroraGirl my K30 had those factory tips on it when I bought it in 2016. It even had the OEM mufflers. Isn't that California rust just terrible...;)

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
@AuroraGirl @Craig 85
Here are some better pics of the truck and its axle, now that its back home.
Your guess is as good as mine as to what is going on back there. You can see the drivers side is farther forward than the passenger side.

Theres the welded spring hanger that I think is messed up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@AuroraGirl @Craig 85
Here are some better pics of the truck and its axle, now that its back home.
Your guess is as good as mine as to what is going on back there. You can see the drivers side is farther forward than the passenger side.

Theres the welded spring hanger that I think is messed up.

That spring hanger is mounted too high up and too far forward.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It also looks like there's a patch of some kind behind it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
edit

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
well i think its not a chassis cab now since the shocks are inboard and the wheel base sits outside the front ones and its still drw etc. yeah that hanger looks suspicious lol
I could be overthinking it but those springs look pretty light for the purpose unless they wider than i realize. Just looks like my 76 c20 trailer i haul trash in has a bigger spring pack

Nevermind, it looks like its either got a few more or its just bent/hung such way I thought that.

Well I have 8 leafs and a helper (9), yours has 7 and a helper (8). But aside from that, looks identical under there.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I think what I'm gonna do, is take the bed off, take the axle and springs out, take everything off the rear of the frame, cut those old front hangers off, amd clean up the whole frame back there, so I can start from scratch. I'll probably reinforce the rear frame rails, set those new springs in, weld on new hangers in the appropriate spot for that lenght spring and set lower, and go from there.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well I have 8 leafs and a helper (9), yours has 7 and a helper (8). But aside from that, looks identical under there.
okay. i wasnt trying to say it was better, I was just trying to point out I think its sprung a little on the light side for a dually pickup 1 ton. Im sorry.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
okay. i wasnt trying to say it was better, I was just trying to point out I think its sprung a little on the light side for a dually pickup 1 ton. Im sorry.
Oh you're good, no worries. I agree with you, it does look on the light side for a 1 ton. Just comparing them. I have a heavy half, and the spring pack isn't much different than that either.
I think they may be thicker, but not sure.
They're gonna get upgraded most likely anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84