74 K20 468 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm starting a new thread, since practically everything about the build changed, and i can't edit my OP.

The engine that came out of the truck was trashed. The knock ended up being a loose rod cap, which ultimately introduced the #1 rod to the #2 cylinder.

So i found a big block in a 79 Z28 that was supposedly a 496. We pulled the engine, and i tore it down at the house. It ended up being a 454....... with a broken oil pump shaft. The rings cam off in about 6 pieces each, but ths crank was barely scratched. Then i looked closer at the crank and saw that it was forged. Then i looked at the date on the block, heads, and crank, measured the bore and found that it was a standard 1973 454 from a truck. It also had 049 heads that were in way better shape than my old 781's with sunken valves. So i wasn't so aggravated anymore about buying a smoked engine for $400.

The cylinders were pitted from sitting outside with water in them prior to being installed in the Camaro, but it still made .060 over. The heads needed a couple of valve guides and hardened exhaust seats, but they were fine too. The crank easily made .010" under. The thumb rods were fine too.

I originally tried to apply LSX logic to this build and wouldn't really listen to anyone who told me to keep the compression down due to dogshit burn chambers, but i ultimately came around and built it very mild knowing it'll still make crazy torque and decent HP.

-.060 over flat-tops instead of domes

-no decking of heads of block was necessary, which i regret now that i know the pistons are .037" down the hole, making it 7.8:1.

-"RV" cam

-1 3/4" headers

-air gap knockoff

-Holley Sniper EFI

-drilled block for parallel cooling

You must be registered for see images attach

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
sweeeeet. Ive been debating swapping the 454 in my food truck with the 350 in my k20... i thought I had decided I wanted the better gas mileage cause its my DD. Now im not so sure... Im kinda jealous.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
sweeeeet. Ive been debating swapping the 454 in my food truck with the 350 in my k20... i thought I had decided I wanted the better gas mileage cause its my DD. Now im not so sure... Im kinda jealous.
LS swap it. Knowing what i know now about how tedious old school engines are, I'm going back to the LS/LT for good.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
almost done with the wiring

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i also ended up going back and trading for the Camaro

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm still a firm believer that heavy trucks are happiest with big blocks. You made the right choice.

So I'm guessing the Camaro will get an LS? Is it as solid as it looks in the pics?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
LS swap it. Knowing what i know now about how tedious old school engines are, I'm going back to the LS/LT for good.
There is the price issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512