73 K20 4x4 towing capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JZCracker

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 FLEETSIDE
Engine Size
I could use some input on this. I have a '73 K20 4x4 with a bumper mounted trailer ball. It has a rebuilt small block 350 and 4" lift. How much weight can I safely tow? The bumper appears well mounted to the frame (I assume factory original) and I plan to have a proper shop wire it up for lights and braking. FYI - I'm looking to tow a +/- 18' camping trailer that weighs +/- 4000 lbs.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I could use some input on this. I have a '73 K20 4x4 with a bumper mounted trailer ball. It has a rebuilt small block 350 and 4" lift. How much weight can I safely tow? The bumper appears well mounted to the frame (I assume factory original) and I plan to have a proper shop wire it up for lights and braking. FYI - I'm looking to tow a +/- 18' camping trailer that weighs +/- 4000 lbs.
get a good quality hitch mounted directly to the frame. You are likely to be right at the hairy edge of the acceptable tongue and pull rating for a bumper ball pull like that. If you have a good quality class IV or Class V frame hitch, you can use a load leveling setup and you will KNOW it is rated for the amount being pulled. I have pulled my 25ft, 6500lb travel trailer all over the state for hunting trips in my 1980 K25 Pickup with no issues. In fact, it is more stable pulling than my 2011 Suburban. I have a fully wired electronic brake controller and a Class V frame mounted hitch with a load leveling setup for the trailer.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yes, a frame mounted receiver hitch is the way to go. They will handle a lot more than a bumper ball and be safer doing it.
Also with a receiver hitch,you can swap out ball mount to change the size needed (smaller boat and light trailers use 1 7/8", most utility or car haulers and small travel trailers use a 2", and the bigger travel trailers use a 2 5/16". If you go that big, you will probably have a weight distributing hitch with the sway control bar attachment.
Also there are two books that go in the receiver hitch, that you can put a chain or strap onto, to move a car or something else. Just did this last week with my one ton, moving another Suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod