'73 Chevelle SS Wagon (local find)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Pfft, ls with a buttered cat strapped to the intake. ;)

Btw if this car spent any time in Piqua I'm surprised it's even around given the hate mother nature has for that city.

I've got an '88 Celebrity Eurosport VR coupe that I bought in Piqua... it's really rusty, lol.

The fella that had it for sale there, he lived near London. Right next to Choctaw Lake on Rt 56.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One of my biggest concerns is taken care of. It turns out, Steele Rubber products offers most of the important weatherstripping for a station wagon. Most importantly, they offer the window weatherstripping (on the body) for the front and rear doors. Mine is toast. Now I just gotta fork out the cash, lol.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Here's a view of the original mag type wheels, that are actually a steel rim with a foam/rubber face molded on.
You must be registered for see images attach

The two Kelly Chargers are dated 1994. The Goodyear Aquatread (remember the commercials for those?) Is dated '95. I didn't bother looking at the date code on the Firestone, but it looked to be early 90's.
A 79 cougar xr7 my dad had actually had steel wheels with a similar rubber design bonded to them just like that.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I've got an '88 Celebrity Eurosport VR coupe that I bought in Piqua... it's really rusty, lol.

The fella that had it for sale there, he lived near London. Right next to Choctaw Lake on Rt 56.
My first car was an 87 celebrity station wagon! 2.8L, silver with grey interior, stainless hubcaps with gold bowties in the center. I paid $400 cash from the mother of a girl in my graduating class for it, paid for it with my graduation money. Beat the piss outta it for about 4 years till i wanted a truck, gave it to my dad and bought a 90' gmt400 chevy k1500.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A 79 cougar xr7 my dad had actually had steel wheels with a similar rubber design bonded to them just like that.

Now that you mentioned it, iirc, there were some wheels like that used on the early style Taurus too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Now that you mentioned it, iirc, there were some wheels like that used on the early style Taurus too.
Honestly that XR7 is still sitting in my moms yard, and so are the wheels!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I went to VA for a few days and didn't get to look over the car much more. This afternoon I got a chance to look around under the hood and realized there's a smog pump and a charcoal canister, which I wasn't expecting. The emissions sticker on the radiator support says it conforms to federal and California standards where applicable... whatever that means. More than likely I will remove those parts and install a vented gas cap. Every single original part I remove however, will be boxed up and saved for potential future use.

Then I went to pull off this little guy. It's a Rochester 2GV I do believe.

It's the large bore model like what came original on my '69 327. Although I really don't remember my old one having a choke pull off.

Anyway, it's not seized up and the choke coil works well. There were only 2 bolts holding it to the manifold, so it must have been off a time or two in the past. Rebuilding it will be the first step in going through the fuel system.

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I realized something this evening when I was on my way home from picking up an engine for another project and it turns out, this station wagon's history hits closer to home than I ever imagined. Yet another long-winded post coming...

When I purchased the wagon, I actually had looked up the address of the PO (Frank Ward) to see exactly where this car was for all those years. Sure enough, on Google's satellite and street views, it looked like a large property and there was several vehicles and a large camper up by the road. Seemed like the type of place that a car could potentially sit for a while. So then today I happen to be driving that stretch of road, not really paying attention to my surroundings because I've seen it all many times before. Then as I'm driving past, I realized "oh hey, that's where that Frank guy lives" because it still looks just like the Google Street view. I almost turned around to go knock on the door, but decided against it.

Then maybe a quarter mile down the road, I pass by the old closed down filling station where I once nearly bought the Suburban that was discussed here:
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/think-i-should-buy-it.13532/

As I'm driving past, then it REALLY hit me "Hey wait a minute! That guy's name is Frank! And he said he lived close to his little old shop!" So I looked through my contacts list on my phone and wouldn't you know it, that Frank's phone number was the same number listed on the old paperwork that came with the Chevelle wagon! Small world, right? Lol.

Back when I was looking at purchasing that Suburban, Frank had told me that he had a whole bunch of stuff that he'd be willing to sell since he was getting older and didn't have time for most of it. He said he was willing to show me around if I ever had the time. I wish I would have taken him up on his offer, as I would have found the Chevelle several years ago and it would have been cheaper too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I feel like @bucket ’s posts are getting more and more like @HotRodPC ’s every day. Long winded. Gotta go grab a cold snack before reading those suckers. I’m tired. I need a nap now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I feel like @bucket ’s posts are getting more and more like @HotRodPC ’s every day. Long winded. Gotta go grab a cold snack before reading those suckers. I’m tired. I need a nap now.

Yeah, I've noticed that myself. I tend to be windy these days. I blame @HotRodPC for training me to be that way.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Dammit @HotRodPC

Please note that I went and found a new "picard" just for this!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Dammit @HotRodPC

Please note that I went and found a new "picard" just for this!
You ain’t that special. Puhlease. :crazy:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
You ain’t that special. Puhlease. :crazy:
Look here ya silly bish DON'T make me turn this car around! :slap: Everybody tells me that I'm "special" not sure what they mean :boxed:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's super cool. You HAVE TO call the old guy now, hopefully he's still kicking and working on old Chevys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84