700R4 TV Cable end replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
My TV cable hasn't been hooked up for the entire time I have owned my truck, which makes me feel real stupid and makes me real mad at the PO who took the TBI off and F'ed up the conversion. The cable is there and appears to pull and retract freely, so I took it by AAmco On Wed. and they told me the end of my cable wouldn't work because it it broken/ missing parts and that they thought that the whole cable should be replaced. They also said in order to replace the cable, then they have to drop the pan and if they were going to drop the pan they should replace the trans fluid(obviously) and the filter.

So what I thought would be a 30-40 dollar repair (hook up and set detent/adjust cable properly) they are now talking 3 hours @ $88/hour plus the cost of Trans fluid and a TV cable which is easily going to cost me $500 all said and done. Money is tight right now with the holidays and I would really like to be able to just replace the end of the cable where it hooks up to the carb.

Anybody have any suggestions about what to do, really need some insight, especially now that my square is my DD and I really can't afford the burn up my trans.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First, you do NOT have to drop pan to replace tv cable. The tv cable is a relatively cheap part by itself. You can just unscrew it from the top of the trans and unhook it from cable inside trans. Install new cable by hooking it to cable in trans, snake it up to the carb/throttle body. Hook it to that. Adjust tv cable properly and test drive.

What they are betting on is that youve burnt up the trans which can happen very quickly on a 700r4 if driven w/o tv cable.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
If that trans isn't already burned up, follow the adjustment procedures for the TV cable at www.bowtieoverdrives.com. Adjusting it any other way is not correct.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yeah, I did my TV cable in about 20 minutes. Takes a 10mm wrench or socket.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Since I posted this I looked up a video on youtube, from 1AAuto Glad to have these guys around the forum, their videos have been useful on a couple of occasions. I guess I just figured tuning it was a little harder than it is. I have driven it mostly a little on weekends up until recently when it became my DD. Never dogged because it is 25 years old and didn't want to burn up the trans. I have never seen any signs of slipping or anything like that so I really hope I haven't done any major damage to it. I'll go ahead and a replacement cable sent and put it in.

Is there any trick to getting the trans end hooked to the spring, seems like it might be a little tricky laying on my back in the driveway and only being able to get one hand up there at a time (based on the space shown in the video).

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Needle nose..

Latest posts

Forum statistics