700r4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
You must be registered for see images attach

I have yet to figure out where it goes, I am going up to a pick and pull in a few mins to get some stuff prob gonna check it out there

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
From that Picture I am betting it fell out of the Reverse Input Drum.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
alright so I went to a tranny shop to pick up a couple odds and ends and I though why not bring it with me see if I can get another opinion, the guy I talked to told me he has been working on trannys since 1962 and has never once seen this, so I think I am just gonna not worry about it

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
alright so I went to a tranny shop to pick up a couple odds and ends and I though why not bring it with me see if I can get another opinion, the guy I talked to told me he has been working on trannys since 1962 and has never once seen this, so I think I am just gonna not worry about it

Take a picture of the reverse input drum (front side)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't think just because he has building transmission since 62 that he knows everything. 700r4's weren't even in existance til 82, so that takes off 20 years of his experience right there. I know guys that are trans masters on foreign, and don't know jack about domestic, and vice versa, I know guys that know GM like the back of their hand and don't know Ford or Dodge, and I know guys that know about Non E transmission, but don't know crap about the Non E, and vice versa. So just cuz he has been working on transmissions since 62 doesn't mean he knows all. I'd say if it came out, it needs to go back in. It could be an important orfice. Why I think its important is you said it has a hole thru it. That means fluid probably flows thru it. Just a thought.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
so turns out it does not have a hole in it, I rebuilt the entire thing and had this part handy just does not seem to fit anywhere, I am second guessing if it really even fell out of the pump I should have the tranny in the truck by the end of the weekhopefully just going to cross my fingers

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Any way it could have been a dowel pin/alignment pin?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd cross your toes too. Keep us updated.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Just thought I would give you guys alittle update So ya dont think I like gave up, Well Put the tranny back together put it in the truck drove it up the street and it leaked out the front pump, so I was fumming, But on a good note it went into revearse and drive no problems

So I Took the tranny out of the truck turns out The was a Crack on the outside of the pump which is where it was leaking out of, Kinda a relief because at least I know The rebuild was not a fail

So put the tranny Back in the Bolted the cross member and tranny to motor, and that day it started to snow and has been 20degree or below ever since

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn. Cracked front pump??? I wonder how common that is? I'd never heard of that before. I've seen other pump failures, but not that one.
In the 20's... I'd hate to be there. We've had a fairly mild winter so far. In the 60's yesterday and today.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn. Cracked front pump??? I wonder how common that is? I'd never heard of that before. I've seen other pump failures, but not that one.
In the 20's... I'd hate to be there. We've had a fairly mild winter so far. In the 60's yesterday and today.

We are supposed to hit 16 tonight, I have a concrete isulating blanket covering the beverage cooler in the Burb. :roflbow:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins

60swow lucky you, ya I tried to go work on the truck skinned my knuckles once, cried and went back inside, god I hate winter

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
60swow lucky you, ya I tried to go work on the truck skinned my knuckles once, cried and went back inside, god I hate winter

might I suggest moving south

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have a buddy in upstate NY who told me this morning while he was working it was -2 degrees! His door handle broke off on his car lol then the latch assembly was froze open and the door wouldn't latch closed! It gets pretty cold here but not like that, I would have to move!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes