700R-4 Torque Converter or TCC Solenoid Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gemiller

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci
Working on diagnosing an issue with the truck I just got. It has a shudder at low RPM in what seems to be all the gears (I don't experience it much in 3/OD though) that goes away with a little peddle. Normally my experience with older stuff would say Torque Converter but this thing has lockup from my understanding and I would imagine going in and out of lockup could also cause this issue?

Anything I can do to properly identify the issue?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
sounds like the previous owner ran the trans low on fluid. have you checked the fluid? might be a good idea to change the filter if you haven't already. i think if it was just a torque converter issue the issue might and i say might subside when you give it more throttle while driving.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

gemiller

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci
sounds like the previous owner ran the trans low on fluid. have you checked the fluid? might be a good idea to change the filter if you haven't already. i think if it was just a torque converter issue the issue might and i say might subside when you give it more throttle while driving.

Maybe I didn't type that out clear enough, but it does go away when I put some throttle into it. It's around for maybe 500-1000rpm of the band, from maybe 500-750 rpm above idle until I throttle through it, which is exactly why I was thinking torque converter originally.

I did check the fluid, it's actually a little overfull, was planning on draining it down to spec, but the fluid is in normal looking condition.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
700R-4 Torque Converter or TCC Solenoid Issu

yea i shoulda read a little better. speed reading at work... it does sound like a tq converter

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
do you have cruise? is it 4x4? does it have EGR bleed solenoid?

give us the transmisssion RPO code and we can go from there.

or you can just go under the hood next to the firewall and unplug the vacuum source to it. if the shudder goes away then it's the lockup.

gemiller

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci
do you have cruise? is it 4x4? does it have EGR bleed solenoid?

give us the transmisssion RPO code and we can go from there.

or you can just go under the hood next to the firewall and unplug the vacuum source to it. if the shudder goes away then it's the lockup.

It is a 4x4 with cruise (not that i have tested the cruise system). I'm not sure what an EGR bleed solenoid is. I replaced the EGR valve and module recently but I haven't had the truck long enough to the full effect of the difference. Where is the hookup I should unplug; what does it go to?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
here is the wiring diagram with EGR bleed since I am betting that is what you have.

Attachments

• Auto Trans.jpg
    Auto Trans.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 118

gemiller

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci
here is the wiring diagram with EGR bleed since I am betting that is what you have.

Based on that picture what I am calling the EGR module would actually be the solenoid, because it lines up with that diagram.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unplug the connector at the low vac switch. See if shudder goes away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising