6 or 4 inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1985chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok so I have a 1985 chevy 3/4 on a 70's frame. It's my DD. it has a 4 inch lift and 35s. I don't wanna smash the fenders and I just bought these tires. I was thinking about going to a 6 inch lift and keeping 35s it would be cheaper than buying new tires. But is a 6 inch lift to high for a DD? Thx guys

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I have a 6 inch lift on my 79 1/2 ton. I drove it every day for 10 years. Yes I put several u joints in it. I replaced the tires twice. I averaged about 5000 miles per year driving everywhere in town. Yes the ride is a little stiff but so what. It was fun driving it around. I am currently rebuilding it in the garage. I look forward to the day that it rolls back out to be driven again. My son can't wait to drive it to school.

1985chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 6 inch lift on my 79 1/2 ton. I drove it every day for 10 years. Yes I put several u joints in it. I replaced the tires twice. I averaged about 5000 miles per year driving everywhere in town. Yes the ride is a little stiff but so what. It was fun driving it around. I am currently rebuilding it in the garage. I look forward to the day that it rolls back out to be driven again. My son can't wait to drive it to school.

Thx don did you run stock drive shafts or get new ones because i am gunna have to buy new drive shafts anyway

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Yes I had to lengthen the rear for sure. I think I had to lengthen the front as well but I can't remember it's been so long ago. I also changed from an auto trans to a standard. I went from a 203 transfer case to a 205. For some reason I think the front might have been fine because of the transfer case swap also. I also suggest you carry extra U joints as well as a hammer and socket to change them out.

BTW- I like the 6 inch lift because my tires never made contact with any of the body panels. I knew guys that ran the same tires that I had but only had a 4 inch lift. They had to trim their body panels to keep the tires from rubbing.

Last edited:

1985chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine never rub but if I hit a bumb to hard it will bounce the true into the front fenders. I just don't wanna go down to 33's but scared to go to a 6 inch lift. How did you lengthen your rear drive shaft?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Mine never rub but if I hit a bumb to hard it will bounce the true into the front fenders. I just don't wanna go down to 33's but scared to go to a 6 inch lift. How did you lengthen your rear drive shaft?

Well I had a neighbor that owned a driveshaft service. He had a really large metal lathe. He was an older retired guy that did this out of his garage. He cut the shaft and welded a piece to it. Then he turned it on the lathe to make sure it did not wobble. Now this is considered a big NO NO but it worked and I never had any trouble with vibration. I will probably have another one made though. You can see it in some of my pics in the Under Construction build. That will also give you an idea what it looks like with a 6 inch lift.

I also put a steering arm on it as well. If you don't have that you will need one. I also lengthened my brake lines as well. I put the stainless brake lines on it also.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I have a 6" for 35s on a daily and it isn't too extreme

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have a 6" lift and still using the stock drive shaft 10 years later. If you have a 3/4 ton rear axle you can use the half ton drive shaft that narrows on both ends and use that to make up the difference. But only if using a 6 or 8" lift. The half ton drive shaft would be too long for a 4" lift. You would have to use the conversion U joint to mate it to the axle.

The half ton drive shaft is aprox 1 1/2" longer then the one found on 3/4 tons. Due to the fact that the 3/4 ton axles have a longer pinion. then the 10 or 12 bolt axles.

If you have a half ton or 3/4 ton, you can use the stock drive shaft. Just keep in mind that it may present problems if getting crazy off road though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1