6.2 Easy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Wow, lot of info, thanks. I'm gonna grab my Chiltons and look most of this stuff up, never having worked on the 6.2 I was unaware of the braking system differences. The chap selling the motor says it's complete, so I guess I have to see if all this is bolted to the engine or not.
The hydroboost is mounted to the firewall behind the brake master cylinder

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Maybe consider just buying a whole parts truck. Diesels throw around enough oil to preserve everything in the engine bay. You could probably buy a whole clapped out, rusted 6.2 truck and just swap all the parts. Not sure where you’re located, but I have access to a 6.2 sitting in my buddies shop in northern ca he’d let go of for next to nothing. He offered it to me for free. He’s tired of it taking up space.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I'd jump on it, but I'm about 2000 miles away, and even the buddy who let me borrow his truck and drive to another state to pick up an old VW Caddy, would draw the line at that. Shame it doesn't drive or it would be a fun roadtrip. Drive out with a mate and drive it back, that said, I've seen some go locally in the $500 range anyways.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'd jump on it, but I'm about 2000 miles away, and even the buddy who let me borrow his truck and drive to another state to pick up an old VW Caddy, would draw the line at that. Shame it doesn't drive or it would be a fun roadtrip. Drive out with a mate and drive it back, that said, I've seen some go locally in the $500 range anyways.
True, because a lot of folks go the other way...diesel to gas conversion. I still might 6bt 12v my truck in the future. My neighbor has a mid 60s burb with a 12v that gets over 20mpg. It’s sweet.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
oh yeah I forgot, it will bolt right in. no adaptors needed. highdesertranger

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You probably want an HD build if you're going to use a 700 and really want it to last. What vintage is the donor?A lot of things changed during the production run of these things. And absolutely the best bet is to steal as many parts off the donor truck as you can.

Also, if you don't know the history of the engine pull the pan off and check the block for cracks at the 2, 3, 4 bulkheads by the outer main bolts. Particularly if it's an early one.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You probably want an HD build if you're going to use a 700 and really want it to last. What vintage is the donor?A lot of things changed during the production run of these things. And absolutely the best bet is to steal as many parts off the donor truck as you can.

Also, if you don't know the history of the engine pull the pan off and check the block for cracks at the 2, 3, 4 bulkheads by the outer main bolts. Particularly if it's an early one.
Donor and recipient are both '83's and what's HD?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Heavy duty. The 700 is not a strong transmission and the early ones had a lot of problems and upgrades came throughout the production run. More clutches and things like that helped them live longer lives. A knowledgeable transmission shop should be able to make sure you've got the best parts, right converter and governor, shift kit etc. That being said, I had one behind my turbo 6.2 and once it was set up right it never gave me any issues.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
My first, basic question is where else besides GM ($8000) can you get a good new or remanufactured 6.2/6.5 engine?

2) As an alternative, is this an engine you could rebuild yourself, like a small block?

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
If you want to buy a reman engine you ought to just get a 6.5 and be done with it. There is a ton of aftermarket support for these boat anchors. They are still in production for the military. These engines were used in a lot of medium duty applications and fleet rides. There is an aftermarket block available as well. Again the na versions were slugs. Barely 150 hp and maybe 250 lbs/ft.. You'll get passed by kid delivering papers.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
OK, going to knock this on the head before it goes too far.

Truck cost: $200
Truck usage: dormant since the GWB administration, if it runs will be good for picking up lumber from local store, hauling junk, maybe occasionally drag a mower. Not daily driving. Not hwy driving.
Truck condition: ******. It's an '83 Chevy in the rust belt thats been in a shed for years, it's been nested in, the tire belt blew and slapped a hole in the bed, it's been run into a parking meter.
Cost of engine: $2-300 if I get it.

It came with a strangled SBC 350, it's scarey above 55, I want a pootler.

I'd trade it all for a Lada Niva :D

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
After waiting 2 weeks for some other dude that was somehow ahead of me, tho' I had cash in hand ready, I did not get the engine :(

When I'm selling something, first guy with the money / trade wins it, y'know.

Oh and he was selling it with the hydroboost.

Hey Frankenchevy, does your mate's truck run and move? 2,000 mile roadtrip might be fun, even if I'm sitting on a 2x4 in something with minimal brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL