6.2 Easy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I've got a line on a 6.2 from an 83 C10 w/ all the accessories. My '83 C10 has a 700R4 the vehicle it came from had a 700R4 is this gonna be a bolt in? Are the torque converters different, are there different shift points in the trans?

Aside from that I'm guessing, I probably have to figure out some kind of fuel return line, get the electrical in for the glows, and I'm guessing it'll have a vacuum pump somewheres?

I'm looking at this more for a get it in and get it running project that a mess around with it all summer one.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
@CSFJ knows what’s up with the 6.2s. At least I’m pretty sure he’s the one I’m thinking of.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Probably won’t have a vacuum pump. They came with hydroboost mostly, if not all. Torque converter will be lower stall. Not sure about a 700r4 ratios, but a taller rear diff gear would almost certainly be in order. They came with a much larger radiator than a sbc, even larger than a bbc; so that’s a consideration, too. The guy who rebuilt my diesel radiator said it’d be over $700 to replace with a lower quality new replacement. Hydroboost isn’t cheap either and you’ll need a dual return power steering pump as well...

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
They have vacuum pumps. May be belt driven, or off the oil pump drive. You can't use it for braking though. You need the Hydroboost. Yes, the torque converter is different, so is the governor. The diesel uses a lower stall and upshifts sooner. The factory used larger motor mounts, although regular ones may bolt in. The fuel pickup is different which will matter in cold weather. GM usually used lower gearing 3.73s or 4.10 which is okay with overdrive. Kind of a screamer without though. Don't forget fuel filtration too. I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Crap, I might have guessed the auto trans would jump in and bollix things up. I know zero about those damn things.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Nothing is insurmountable given enough time, money and to some extent, the internet.

I don't know that I would give up, just do your homework. You can probably get yourself going with a torque converter swap and a governor spring change. That would probably take care of most of it.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I don’t think the 6.2 would produce enough vacuum for a brake booster. Hydro is pretty key on them, is it not?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yes, that's correct. I wouldn't rely on the vacuum pump for brakes. It does help with the climate controls though.

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
You'll need the diesel governor in the trans. The gas torque converter will work with the 6.2. You'll need to figure in a second battery as well. You'll also need new front springs. That 6.2 is a heavy turd. Which brings up the next point, why would you swap in a 6.2?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You'll need the diesel governor in the trans. The gas torque converter will work with the 6.2. You'll need to figure in a second battery as well. You'll also need new front springs. That 6.2 is a heavy turd. Which brings up the next point, why would you swap in a 6.2?
I believe my th400 was originally behind a 6.2. You mentioned a different governor in the trans..what would the result be running this trans behind a gas motor?

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You can get away with cobbling, but the diesel does use a different converter. The diesel governor upshifts sooner under WOT. And they came with either the 700 or 400.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
For what it's worth, my suggestion is to convert to manual transmission and use a Muncie SM465, with granny first gear. Have one in the 1974 K10 I'm restoring and it's been a dandy. Too, the SM420 is also good.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the 6.2 is hard on the 700. it can be done but not ideal. you also want a J code intake to get rid of the EGR nightmare. you must change the pick up sock in the fuel tank. you must convert to hydra-boost. you should already have a return line just need to hook everything up correctly. you must delete the vapor line. you need vented gas caps. the easiest way to do the glow plugs is a manual push button. a Fluiddampr balancer is a good investment. any more questions ask away. highdesertranger

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Which brings up the next point, why would you swap in a 6.2?
Obviously I'm a glutton for punishment :D

I'm just a diesel fan, and the motor in the Burb is stuck, though I've been working on that. It's an old C10, so be a lot of effort to make it into a play truck, mudder, whatever. Just want it to run be handy round the farm, if it can make 55, I'm winning.

If I don't have to futz with trans adaptor kits, welding new motor mounts, etc. etc. New springs sounds like a pain too.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
the 6.2 is hard on the 700. it can be done but not ideal. any more questions ask away. highdesertranger
Wow, lot of info, thanks. I'm gonna grab my Chiltons and look most of this stuff up, never having worked on the 6.2 I was unaware of the braking system differences. The chap selling the motor says it's complete, so I guess I have to see if all this is bolted to the engine or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8