6.2 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
I just picked up a stock 84 6.2 complete with wires,filter, throttle cable, fuel pumps, breath and new starter. Going to swap it in to my crew cab long box to replace my 283 witch is an amazing motor but I am looking for a little more in 4 gear on the highway. I was wondering if there was anything I should look at before I drop it in or anything cheap I could to for a little power. What are the best upgrades for a N.A. I don't want to turbo this motor cuz it's a daily driver Bogger. I am not looking for huge power either my 283 has about 200hp. I get free diesel that's y I am doing the swap if I could make 200hp and 300 flb I would be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I just picked up a stock 84 6.2 complete with wires,filter, throttle cable, fuel pumps, breath and new starter. Going to swap it in to my crew cab long box to replace my 283 witch is an amazing motor but I am looking for a little more in 4 gear on the highway. I was wondering if there was anything I should look at before I drop it in or anything cheap I could to for a little power. What are the best upgrades for a N.A. I don't want to turbo this motor cuz it's a daily driver Bogger. I am not looking for huge power either my 283 has about 200hp. I get free diesel that's y I am doing the swap if I could make 200hp and 300 flb I would be happy.

I think the only thing you need to worry about is the possibility that the torque converter may be different for diesel use, other than that, I would suggest putting new gaskets and seals in, and send the heads for a freshening up, and you should be good 200 hp will be a stretch. I think the 6.2 was 140 hp and 265 ft lbs of torque...but 22 mg is a nice trade off.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
* Duplicate post*

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
I am running a 4spd manual. Is the fly wheel diffrent? I think for performance all I will do is injectors headers and 3inch strait pipe. Thanks for the advice. I will buy a gasket kit and go form there.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I am running a 4spd manual. Is the fly wheel diffrent? I think for performance all I will do is injectors headers and 3inch strait pipe. Thanks for the advice. I will buy a gasket kit and go form there.

I think the flywheel will be different...its a Detroit engine. 3" single is ok, I think they came with 2 1/4 duals.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I'm getting ready to do a similar swap in one of my wreckers. I have a donor K30 diesel wrecker with a bad frame and another K30 wrecker I use daily. tired of the lousy gas milage from the over worked 350, and the carburetor problems that comes with todays bad gas. The only thing I see is doing the glowplug wiring and changing out exhaust that's going to make it any kind of a job at all.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yup, the power numbers are low, as with any Light Diesel from that era, but it is a workhorse.
The other thing that I would suggest is to run synthetic oil, keep everything sludge free.

Last edited:

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
If you get her done before me let me know how she goes and if you have any problems.. A good buddy of mine specializes in diesel and electrical so I think I'll get by. As for MPG I have always ran propane and if deisel wasn't free I'd keep her propane.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
mine has a brand new elderbrock on it. runs great 98% of the time, but if I leave it idle long periods of time it starts to load up. As a wrecker I've seen them set and run a hr at a time at accident scene while waiting on police to clear us and in the cold

I'd love to go over to propane, It's way cheaper than gas and runs so much cleaner. I had a c30 rollback years ago that was propane, and one of dumbest things I've ever done was to sell it

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
mine has a brand new elderbrock on it. runs great 98% of the time, but if I leave it idle long periods of time it starts to load up. As a wrecker I've seen them set and run a hr at a time at accident scene while waiting on police to clear us and in the cold

I'd love to go over to propane, It's way cheaper than gas and runs so much cleaner. I had a c30 rollback years ago that was propane, and one of dumbest things I've ever done was to sell it

Another issue for the Edelbrock... The only carbed tow trucks I have any experience with had QJets or Holleys, and one was a Dodge with a thermoQuad. The Dodge was the only problem truck.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
If I take a 350 flywheel and balance it would i be able to run that. Does any one know where I can find heads, headers,intake, for the 6.2. Am gonna do the oil pan gasket, head gasket, head studs,injectors, intake,glow plugs headers and exhaust but I can't find supplier for heads,headers, or intake. Non of the surplus parts will ship to canada?? Should I just take the heads and intake to a machine shop?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If I take a 350 flywheel and balance it would i be able to run that. Does any one know where I can find heads, headers,intake, for the 6.2. Am gonna do the oil pan gasket, head gasket, head studs,injectors, intake,glow plugs headers and exhaust but I can't find supplier for heads,headers, or intake. Non of the surplus parts will ship to canada?? Should I just take the heads and intake to a machine shop?

The problem is that the bolt pattern may not be the same. Yes, heads to the machine shop, they should be able to clean and check them for around $100

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
I would order a flywheel for the 6.5 from rock auto or a local auto parts store. also make sure the harmonic balancer and front pulley rubber are in good condition. if they are not a broken crank can result. for the injectors I would get bosch brand, I am building a pop tester so I can rebuild them myself.

For headers the only place that makes them is dans headers. other than the military takeoff heders, but they do not fit in the c/k pickups without serious modifications.

Also turbocharging a 6.2 diesel can improve fuel economy as long as you don't start shooting for large boost numbers. A low pressure 10psi or less turbo set up would get you a little above your goal HP and Tq numbers.

I just did a conversion from a 454 to a custom twin turbo 6.2 so if you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
That's good info thank you. I wana keep it N.A. Just incase I sink it. What do you know about heads for the 6.2.

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
the earlier 6.2 heads with the coarse thread injectors had larger valves and would flow more, but the larger valve heads are also more prone to cracking between the valves. the coarse injectors are only used in the early heads, the later 6.2s and 6.5s use fine thread injectors.

the early heads use a long injector that has an angle that makes it wider and much harder to fit a 6.5 turbo exhaust manifold, but you are not wanting to turbo so it dose not matter.

all 6.2 and 6.5 heads can be interchanged (except for the turbo van and turbo Humvee engine heads)

in my engine I am using the 660 casting 6.2 block with 6.5 turbo heads and 6.5 turbo injectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS