500hp 350 carbureted and 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aba69x

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
hi i am currently in the process of getting my build started. i have a 1987 gmc r1500 with the 5.7 and a 700r4 trans. its all bone stock right now. i am wanting to make around 500+ hp fyi. im not 100% sure on the exact size/parts but better rods and pistons, good size cam, intake, heads, headers, carburetor, magnuson 122 supercharger, full msd ignition, radiator, water pump, and fuel pump, and performance rear end with either 4.10's or 4.11's. i have no idea what to do with the rear end i have been told to upgrade it and swap gears. anyhow if anyone has any input or ideas on what size combo of parts would work best please let me know. and if anyone has any idea about what to do with the rear end im all ears/eyes. it will be ran on pump gas super unleaded, and it will be a daily driver.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You've mentioned the rear-end getting an upgrade or swap for strength, but what about the 700r4? It's going to need some major help too.

What kind of rpm do you expect to be turning? With a supercharger or turbo your rear axle will probably hangout for awhile but the 700r4 will be the weakest link there. If you're launching off of NOS, then you'd prolly need some help in the rear end too pretty quick.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
So is this just for street strip or ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
IMO , 500+ horse power with a smallblock , with pump gas , and a daily driver is going to be a task. Not that you can't do it but it would be a lot easyer with a big block for a daily , pump gas , driver.
Like hot rod said as well you will need to beef out the 700r or do a tranny change.As far as the rear end go's it depends on how your truck hook's. I have seen 10 bolt's and 12's hold up with big power but they were in truck's that dont hook that well. If you set up your truck to hook and leave hard I would build up a dana 60 or a 9" ford , but that's just me.

:happy160::happy160::happy160:

aba69x

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
my dad runs a transmission shop and has for 20+ years. he wants me to run a 400 but we can "build" the 700r4 to hold up. i want the overdrive thats the biggest thing. i want to be able to hop in and drive down the highway for a few hours and not worry about burning up my tranny. it is mainly a daily driver but i'd like to be able to go to the local track and run it. i can run higher octane fuel but i cant afford 110 all the time. i figured probably 97 octane with the booster additive.

aba69x

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
if i had a 454 what would be the best set up? like engine/tranny/rear end... but like i said i need it to handle itself on the highway for trips. and its not going to be used for any real towing. maybe pulling my jet ski or four wheelers around town.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
4L80E will be your best bet for a trans, but you'll need to run a controller unless you want to run it as a manual valve body.

aba69x

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
whats the difference in the 4l80e?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
whats the difference in the 4l80e?

4L80-E is similar in strength to the Th400. In fact. All the gear ratio's are the same as a Th400 and many of the Th400 internals fit the 4L80-e and vice Versa. Basically, the OD model of the Th400. It's very expensive to get set up, and to locate a core since you'll prolly spend $300 just on a core, then plan on $600-$800 for the controller and wiring and another $100 or so for electronic speedo conversion. Add all that up, then add the basic rebuild and torque converter and you have your build price. However, by the time you spend over $3000 for a built 700r4, shipping and converter, you're about in the same boat so all said and done, the 4L80-E is the better choice all the way around. :imo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IMO , 500+ horse power with a smallblock , with pump gas , and a daily driver is going to be a task. Not that you can't do it but it would be a lot easyer with a big block for a daily , pump gas , driver.
Like hot rod said as well you will need to beef out the 700r or do a tranny change.As far as the rear end go's it depends on how your truck hook's. I have seen 10 bolt's and 12's hold up with big power but they were in truck's that dont hook that well. If you set up your truck to hook and leave hard I would build up a dana 60 or a 9" ford , but that's just me.

:happy160::happy160::happy160:

Or a later model 9.5 in Semi float in 5 lug from a 454 SS truck. You can go even later model to the same 9.5 Semi float with rear disk brakes with parking break and have someone redrill your axles form 6 lug to 5 lug, or if it's real street/strip truck, I'd run the 15in 6 lug wider wheels in the back in Centerlines or Weld Wheels, then run the 5 lug pizza cutters up front.

The Ford 9in isn't a bad option either, then running dual pattern Weld Wheels no redrilling of the axles necessary.

No matter what you choose, you'll have to have the spring perches moved on an axle. As far as hooking up, Squares hook up real nice right out of the box. I know of few 10 second squares on just a little over stock tire size slicks hokking up and leaving with front wheels off the ground. But, they're not running 10/12 bolt OEM rear axles.

JMiller is one of them and I do believe he did sign up here. You can also find several of his videos on YT. I was hoping he'd be making it on the list on Street Outlaws this last season, but for TV purposes, they had to keep Sean's Farm Truck in there.

Getchoo some of these videos and tell me he's not hookin' !!! He's running a 9in and Th400.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7339

[yt]Z3aP_wrLvVU[/yt]

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!! Thats bad ass , you dont see many street trucks hook like that. Thats what I am talking about when I said if you hook you may want to up grade your rear end , FOR SURE.
My 68 camaro I had with a 12 bolt , (super brute with red springs , moser axle's) in the back hooked fairly hard , (had the pinion rolled way down with cal trac's) and I pop'ed it twice , but it was sure fun doing it.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
if i had a 454 what would be the best set up? like engine/tranny/rear end... but like i said i need it to handle itself on the highway for trips. and its not going to be used for any real towing. maybe pulling my jet ski or four wheelers around town.

I have built quite a few big blocks that have been very pump friendly and putting out 450 to 550 hp range and are friendly on the street.
Anyway , a motor build would be a long story but a well built 454 or stroker combo with 10 to1 , aluminum heads , retro fit roller cam , 4l80e , (because you need o.d.) , and a dana 60 or 9" rear would get you where you want to be easily on 92 octane fuel.

All it takes is money , the right combo , and a machinist that you trust and know's what the hell he is doing.

I just think that 500hp street , pump gas motor is easyer to reach with a big block but thats just me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!! Thats bad ass , you dont see many street trucks hook like that. Thats what I am talking about when I said if you hook you may want to up grade your rear end , FOR SURE.
My 68 camaro I had with a 12 bolt , (super brute with red springs , moser axle's) in the back hooked fairly hard , (had the pinion rolled way down with cal trac's) and I pop'ed it twice , but it was sure fun doing it.

Yep, and he's 100% OEM suspension but does have a 9inch. He's broke the 9in too. And broke the Th400 also.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have built quite a few big blocks that have been very pump friendly and putting out 450 to 550 hp range and are friendly on the street.
Anyway , a motor build would be a long story but a well built 454 or stroker combo with 10 to1 , aluminum heads , retro fit roller cam , 4l80e , (because you need o.d.) , and a dana 60 or 9" rear would get you where you want to be easily on 92 octane fuel.

All it takes is money , the right combo , and a machinist that you trust and know's what the hell he is doing.

I just think that 500hp street , pump gas motor is easyer to reach with a big block but thats just me.

Yep, you can easily get to 500hp with a BBC and on pump gas without any adders, just a naturally aspirated motor. Now he mentioned Supercharger. Not sure how much he's going to get out of that, but if can get 350-400hp out of the SBC and pick up another 100-150 with the charger he might get there. I still think it'll be tough though for a daily driver without overheating issues or replacing plugs often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06