5 ac compressors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, if Brother Bill moved to your area, it means he would only have to replace 2 compressors per year !

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well, if Brother Bill moved to your area, it means he would only have to replace 2 compressors per year !
Well it sounds like they died Immediately so I think he would have to replace 10. One set of 5 each day. Boom, problem solved. Good work everyone

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
It is nearly impossible to diagnose the cause with out knowing exactly what failed in the compressor.

Brother Bill

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Sorry all, didn't mean to post and run. Got jammed up and working long hours.

All hard parts have been replaced, system flushed. Converted to R134. First two models were 58235 and then a third was tried 57235, that one lasted the longest before the clutch failed. Went down tonight to the shop as they fired up the 4th try (thought they were on number 5). It seems the clutch won't stay engaged. I wish I would have thought to video it while there but didn't think of it. The clutch will engage for 10-15 seconds and then disengage. They claim it was same thing for first 3, that it would do that until the clutch overheated and then would leak compressor oil.

I had them turn the truck off tonight before the newest compressor failed. I'll pull the belt off and bring it home until I can come up with some other ideas to try.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only thing similar was a car I worked on 20 yrs ago. Went through 2 compressors in a short time. Wound up being 'parts' from an old orifice tube that disintegrated years ago and parts settled in the evaporator inside the dash.

Wasn't worth the effort to mess with it so I swapped an entire AC box from a donor.

You're either unusually unlucky with defective parts or there is contamination or blockage (from that dreaded stop leak sht) in a line.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
could the AC Clutch wiring be bad somehow? I know there is a diode on my cars AC clutch wiring, but I am unsure how it worked way back in the old days.

I would doubly check for contamination or blockage. Somehow my cars AC system kept running with a metric BUTTLOAD of stop leak and extra oil in the system. The **** is still slowly oozing out of my compressor and I took if off the car months ago. I never used any additives when I added refrigerant, just r134a, and i filled it 4 times over 2 years. I can only imagine the lines, drier, etc. I took them off too but didnt bother check for seepage.

On your AC compressor, you mention clutch failure. Is your alternator keeping up with your trucks electrical demands? The old alternators didnt push many amps and an AC clutch can be demanding. Any aftermarket add ons?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm just going to throw out that the compressor cycling shouldn't burn out the clutch. It seems more likely that there is an issue in the clutch actuation circuit that is allowing it to slip and therefore overheat and burn up. Its possible they are over or under filling the refrigerant also, they should be filling it to about 80% of the R12 charge amount.

Remember that the ground is just as important as the power. Most AC compressor clutches ground through the compressor body, so you need to make sure all the contact points from the compressor to the brackets and engine are clean, as well as making sure the engine to frame and engine to battery grounds are present and clean/tight.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Anytime you replace a compressor or clutch, the clearance between the clutch and compressor must be checked. Loose clearance will cause clutch to make noise, slip, and overheat. Tight clearance can cause the clutch to stay mechanically engaged. This will raise pressure too high and may cause the pressure relief valve to open. Most clutches are checked using a feeler gauge. Shims are available in several thicknesses to adjust the clearance.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do they actually fit the gauges, sounds to me like an issue on the high side, which can cause clutch slippage and comp' failure to the extent that the seals then let go.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do they actually fit the gauges, sounds to me like an issue on the high side, which can cause clutch slippage and comp' failure to the extent that the seals then let go.

Agreed. Sounds like excessive pressure on the high side. That is absolute hell on a compressor and clutch. Likely causes are a blockage in the system or lack of airflow through the condenser due to a failed fan clutch.

A compressor clutch that is simply cycling from low charge or a wiring problem will literally last for years of driving.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Agreed. Sounds like excessive pressure on the high side. That is absolute hell on a compressor and clutch. Likely causes are a blockage in the system or lack of airflow through the condenser due to a failed fan clutch.

A compressor clutch that is simply cycling from low charge or a wiring problem will literally last for years of driving.

Probably has the high side connection down on the liquid line rather than at the discharge port. could have an internal restriction in the condenser.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Probably has the high side connection down on the liquid line rather than at the discharge port. could have an internal restriction in the condenser.

Could be. I kind of remember mine being near the discharge port, but I'm not around any of them right now.

Brother Bill

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks all, appreciate the thoughts and insights. I am in no way very knowledgeable on AC systems and functionality.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks all, appreciate the thoughts and insights. I am in no way very knowledgeable on AC systems and functionality.
was your low side port changed to the r134a fitting and is leak free? remember, the cap in a lot of AC fittings also seals the shraeder valve so a missing cap could leak refrigerant. the r134a fitting is larger i do believe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK