5.3 LM7 going in my 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
If you need me to, I can get you the part number for the power steering pump i'm using. Let me know.

Will you provide the part number you used? I am trying to install the power steering pump that came with my donor truck. I do not see how it's physically possible to fit it in between the frame rails. Did you have to install the hoses to the pump, install the pump onto the aluminum accessory bracket, and then install the hole accessory bracket into the truck?

You must be registered for see images attach

TerryRH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350ci
I hate to contradict a fellow member here, but I think Fried Daddy meant to say he had his truck unprofessionally tuned! Professional technician? Sure. Professional tuner? ....more like a youtube tuner! ;)
Either way, the fuel trims came out great, and the PE tuning happened without any hassle. MAF scaled easily.
The Speedo matched the GPS exactly, but only because Fried Daddy understands multiplication tables....and apparently I don't. My first adjustment was in the wrong direction to correct the VSS error, and Fried Daddy got it on the first try, down to the decimal place. I don't know how he did it, but he was sure about it when he gave me the adjustment factor.

On a side note, the urethane bushings he has on the control arms are great. The truck really handles nicely. It convinced me to do mine sooner rather than later. Mine is a real handful at high speed. His just drives normally.

On a second side note, Fried Daddy, you need to put some 3.73 gears in that thing. It will turn iit into a whole new truck. You can barely use OD with 2.73 gears in it. You can wait on the Posi, I think. I'd do gears next.

Lastly, if any of you ever get to hang out with Fried Daddy, do so. He's a solid dude.

Joe
I actually wanted to link up with him when I got to NC. Turns out he was leaving while I was coming.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Will you provide the part number you used? I am trying to install the power steering pump that came with my donor truck. I do not see how it's physically possible to fit it in between the frame rails. Did you have to install the hoses to the pump, install the pump onto the aluminum accessory bracket, and then install the hole accessory bracket into the truck?

Summit racing part # 20-8704F

I installed the pump to the bracket, pulley to pump, bracket to engine. In that order. Hoses should be able to be installed/removed with the engine in the truck. If not, you'll never be able to change the pump in the future.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Summit racing part # 20-8704F

I installed the pump to the bracket, pulley to pump, bracket to engine. In that order. Hoses should be able to be installed/removed with the engine in the truck. If not, you'll never be able to change the pump in the future.
I guess I should have paid attention to what truck you had before I asked. Your's is 2WD correct? Rack and pinion or gearbox? How has the steering behaved since you got it running?

I called the cardone folks because I was a little dyslexic with the part number when I got to work. Of course they didn't help things by having one that is PN 8704 and the other is 8740. 8704 is the lower pressure option of the two. The 8740 is the higher pressure option. I'm going to go by Advance Auto to put my hands on the higher pressure one and make sure it doesn't have the 2nd return for hydroboost.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I guess I should have paid attention to what truck you had before I asked. Your's is 2WD correct? Rack and pinion or gearbox? How has the steering behaved since you got it running?

I called the cardone folks because I was a little dyslexic with the part number when I got to work. Of course they didn't help things by having one that is PN 8704 and the other is 8740. 8704 is the lower pressure option of the two. The 8740 is the higher pressure option. I'm going to go by Advance Auto to put my hands on the higher pressure one and make sure it doesn't have the 2nd return for hydroboost.
My truck is 2wd, gearbox. No issues with the steering.

My pump does NOT have the return for hydroboost on it.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Ok Joshua, if you go back thru @fried_daddy thread you will see he answered your question a long time ago!

I asked him about the pressure and return lines and he told me he changed his steering pump because of the extra return line. "And that he used the OEM hoses from his truck."

The extra hydro boost return type pump can be used, no need to replace it, just plug one of the return lines. As you can see from these pictures The pump fits. I however can't remove the pressure line from the pump, it is a 2004 LM7. So in order to swap out the pressure line I'm going to have to removed the alternator/steering pump bracket, replace the pressure hose to new OEM style from my 73 truck and re-install the bracket.

The hoses from the 2004 vehicle are not compatible at the steering box because of the added o-ring crimp.

thnx Matt

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Yeah, I'm going to pull the accessory bracket tomorrow. I bought new pressure and return lines and the 20-8740 high pressure pump. It did not have the extra return fitting either.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
What upper radiator hose was used?

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
1) Move the wire on slot E to Slot A on the pedal side of the TAC cable.

Do you move E to A and leave A out of the plug? Or do you swap them?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
So the fabbed up pedal I made was getting on my nerves. I decided to follow others advice here and get the mid 90's 6.5 diesel pedal. Here are some pictures of the pedal and the plug from my DBW pedal that goes into it.

There are two modifications that you must do to the white plug in order to use this pedal with your TAC module.
1) Move the wire on slot E to Slot A on the pedal side of the TAC cable.
2) Use a razor blade to cut a groove on the left side of the picture as shown when holding the connector in my hand for the pedal side of the TAC cable to go into the pedal.

does this pedal have more physical resistance (spring load on the pedal) than a newer plastic version? Reason I ask is my foot will hop the pedal due to bumps....especially in bad construction areas (while driving too fast lol). This causes a surge/let off pulse that is annoying.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Do you move E to A and leave A out of the plug? Or do you swap them?
I don't remember. But I probably swapped them.

does this pedal have more physical resistance (spring load on the pedal) than a newer plastic version? Reason I ask is my foot will hop the pedal due to bumps....especially in bad construction areas (while driving too fast lol). This causes a surge/let off pulse that is annoying.
I don't recall any issues with pedal resistance.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
testing,nm