4wd C20, 4.11 to 3.42?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It'll accept a 3.42, 3.08, and 2.73 ring and pinion. Remember that what you do to the rear differential has to be done to the front one. It might have a 700r4, but considering that it's a K20, it'll probably have a three speed. You can swap that in there, but you might consider installing a gear vendor so you can retain the more solid transmission, add gears, and not have to modify anything or add the stand alone computer if you had a 4l80e in mind. Bear in mind that if you swap in those types of gears, it does improve the economy, but it won't tow anything, and it renders those beefier 3/4 ton axles pointless. Unless the truck is pristine, you might consider a K10 that already has a 700R4, smaller axles, and four wheel drive. Then you can swap the gears on both ends and potentially save money. Just my two cents.

Being a 3/4 ton doesn't automatically guarantee a three speed trans. Sometime during the 80's they started offering the 3/4 in what I guess you could call light duty (700r4, 14 bolt semi float rear axle) and heavy duty (th400, 14 bolt full float rear axle).

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I gotcha. I knew that it was possible to have both, but I thought it was a lot more likely to have the three speed. My bad.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
After speaking with Randy's Ring and Pinion, it looks like the longest gear my carriers will accept is a 3.42. That wouldn't buy me much in mpg gain.

Looks like a 700-R4 is probably my best bet. I don't really haul anything heavy, so the weaker trans doesn't bother me much. I just have occasional loads of dirt or mulch for the house and trips to Home Depot.

Anything tricky to look out for when going from a TH350 to the 700-R4?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus