4speed to automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You are very lucky to have that, those things are rare as hen's teeth. I would LOVE to have that setup. Is it a mechanical clutch linkage or hydraulic? Do you know if it uses the standard type bell housing, like an SM465?

It's just a basic 4 speed tranny, but it has an OD rather than a low range. From what I remember, it's a derivative of some Mopar tranny.

You are correct sir. Mine has manual linkage, actually surprises me how soft the pedal is though. It has the standard gm bellhousing, score! Also its the stronger iron case..that was the weak point of these trannys, the aluminum cased 2wd versions. In my setup with 3.08 rear gears and 35" tires i can cruise 60-70mph at around 1600-1800 rpm.
These are the ratios
1st-3.09
2nd-1.76
3nd-1.00
4th/OD-.73

With my 208 tcase in low first gear has pretty nice crawl!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
where can i find one of these? sounds awesome!

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Look around your local salvage yards..reverse all the way to the left and up. Side cover. If the truck has the factory code sticker its Rpo cope is my6. My code is mm7 which states merchandising option but its a my6 tranny..they were in 81-87 1/2 tons. They made some with gm bellhousings and earlier versions had a different mopar style bolt pattern. If you find one make sure to get the bellhousing and the shifter and linkage. They came factory with hurst shifters and the shifters are model specific so you have to have the shifter as hurst no longer makes the shifter. Good luck finding one!

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
will this work with a 4wd truck? i got a 208 t-case

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can say, it won't work on a 4wd truck cuz I doubt adapters will work. I did a bit of reasearch on the trans. I'd like to have just cuz, but it has some crappy gear ratios too. From 1 to 2nd it is huge gap, but it is a low 1st. It's even lower or equal to a 700r4 first gear. It's 3.07 first, 1.76 second, 1 to 1 on 3rd, then a .73 OD. It looks like a stuby muncie trans type as far as the outer case, but the internals are much different. It appears it comes in both cast iron and an aluminum case. The aluminum case units had problems, the cast irons were strong. I seen where some Chevy's came or had cast iron in them, but those may have been convesions from Dodge 883's. It appears the Dodge units were cast iron, the GM units aluminum. The ones I read about were both in 6.2 diesel 2wd trucks which makes sense. Diesels like lower rpm and would benefit most from an OD in that era, but what sucks, they were still in trucks running a 3.08 and 2.73 gear. How stupid !!! Go with a 3.42 or 3.73 for some bottom end pull, then have the OD to offset the lower gear and get some mpg out of it. Sounds like it could have been a good deal if it was set up right, and marketed properly. I'd still rock one though just for the rarity of it. I didn't even know it existed. Pretty cool to find out new **** like this.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
will this work with a 4wd truck? i got a 208 t-case

Yes they will work if you get your hands on the 4wd tranny and adapter. My truck is 4wd

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can say, it won't work on a 4wd truck cuz I doubt adapters will work. I did a bit of reasearch on the trans. I'd like to have just cuz, but it has some crappy gear ratios too. From 1 to 2nd it is huge gap, but it is a low 1st. It's even lower or equal to a 700r4 first gear. It's 3.07 first, 1.76 second, 1 to 1 on 3rd, then a .73 OD. It looks like a stuby muncie trans type as far as the outer case, but the internals are much different. It appears it comes in both cast iron and an aluminum case. The aluminum case units had problems, the cast irons were strong. I seen where some Chevy's came or had cast iron in them, but those may have been convesions from Dodge 883's. It appears the Dodge units were cast iron, the GM units aluminum. The ones I read about were both in 6.2 diesel 2wd trucks which makes sense. Diesels like lower rpm and would benefit most from an OD in that era, but what sucks, they were still in trucks running a 3.08 and 2.73 gear. How stupid !!! Go with a 3.42 or 3.73 for some bottom end pull, then have the OD to offset the lower gear and get some mpg out of it. Sounds like it could have been a good deal if it was set up right, and marketed properly. I'd still rock one though just for the rarity of it. I didn't even know it existed. Pretty cool to find out new **** like this.

They came factory on 4wd and 2wd 1/2 tons. Finding the trans and adapter will most likely be pretty hard unless you find a truck with one factory. I hear ya on the ratios and as crappy as the 1 to 2 ratio is my truck pulls through it just fine, with the 3.08 rear mentioned! From what I've gathered the 4wd units were cast iron and 2wd aluminum as mine is cast. Youre right about the internals. Mine has a gm bellhousing pattern and on 2wd versions tail is identical to th350 but the internals are exactly like the A833's used in mopars. I completely agree on the rear gears though, while my truck does pull fine my plans are to add 3.73 or even 4.10's in the future!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WOW, that is surprizing. Nonetheless, it would be crappy for wheeling with that big gap in between 1st and 2nd. I'd so love to have a Muncie close ratio M22 in a 4wd. To the best of my knowlege the only way to do that would be with a divorced Tcase. Or, I bet Advance Apapters makes and adapter, but I can only imagine the cost. For any of you who have never drivin a vehicle with a Muncie close ratio transmisison and a Hurtst Comp Shifter, I reccomend doing it if you ever get a chance. The funnest vehcile I've ever driven without a doubt. And it reallly doesn't have to be a close ratio trans if you have a 4.10 or 4.56 rear gear. I'll be looking into this 883 though. Very interesting. I never even knew it existed until the thread. :waytogo: This is why I love truck forums.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
WOW, that is surprizing. Nonetheless, it would be crappy for wheeling with that big gap in between 1st and 2nd. I'd so love to have a Muncie close ratio M22 in a 4wd. To the best of my knowlege the only way to do that would be with a divorced Tcase. Or, I bet Advance Apapters makes and adapter, but I can only imagine the cost. For any of you who have never drivin a vehicle with a Muncie close ratio transmisison and a Hurtst Comp Shifter, I reccomend doing it if you ever get a chance. The funnest vehcile I've ever driven without a doubt. And it reallly doesn't have to be a close ratio trans if you have a 4.10 or 4.56 rear gear. I'll be looking into this 883 though. Very interesting. I never even knew it existed until the thread. :waytogo: This is why I love this forum.
Fixed it for ya! :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Man, if I could find a 3 speed with OD for a square 4x4, I'd be all over it!!! Still debating on my square whether I want to go with the 350 that's in it (probably will for the time being) build up a 700R4 (I have one ready to build, need a transfer case though) or see if I can find either a straight 4 speed (no granny low) or mess with putting a 5 speed in it..

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
These are the [883] ratios
1st-3.09
2nd-1.76
3rd-1.00
4th/OD-.73

WOW, that is surprizing. Nonetheless, it would be crappy for wheeling with that big gap in between 1st and 2nd.
SM465 ratios:
Granny Low (1st)- 6.56
1st (2nd)- 3.58
2nd (3rd)- 1.70
3rd (4th)- 1.00

It's actually very similar to the ratio of the SM465, but like it doesn't have the granny gear. What is this mystery trans found in?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
SM465 ratios:
Granny Low (1st)- 6.56
1st (2nd)- 3.58
2nd (3rd)- 1.70
3rd (4th)- 1.00

It's actually very similar to the ratio of the SM465, but like it doesn't have the granny gear. What is this mystery trans found in?

81-87 Chevy/GMC pick ups, RPO code my6 and MM7 As bucket said, very rare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04