4L80E Rebuild - Decent price or too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I called around to a couple shops about getting a driveshaft balanced and have the center bearing replaced. One of the shops was a transmission shop that a google search said also did driveshafts. Anyhow, after finding out they farm out their driveline work, I asked how much it would cost to rebuild my 4L80E and they said $1,400 and that includes a new torque converter. A few people told me this is a reputable shop that does good work.

Is $1,400 a good price to you guys? I wanted to rebuild it myself but I don't want to mess it up and I don't have the specialty tools for it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well if they do good work and you end up with a good 4L80 at the end then it probably is an alright price. I would check around other performance places first though. You might be surprised what you can get for that much $.

It honestly doesn't cost even half of that to rebuild the transmission including torque converter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JB8Jqcif0

TIC

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350cid
you should build it yourself. i built my 700r out of desperation. i dont trust anybody to touch my stuff. i bought a manuel and when i was done and it worked. as far as special tools go, you be serprised what you will come up with. like to compress the spring on the low reverse, i clamped a block of wood across the bellhousring, cut two sticks about a 1/4 in longer from the spring plate to the block of wood. loosed one clamp so one end of the wood block could lift up enough to slip the sticks under, and on either side of the spring plate, when i retightend the clamp it compressed the spring so i could remove the lock ring. took me less than 5 min. to rig up. theres a lot of good info on this forum, dont let it go to waste.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must be registered for see images attach