4l80 swap - what linkage allows for all gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcascott

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
SBC 350
Ill update the group once I figure out what my next step is.

kcascott

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
SBC 350
I totally misread your previous statement. I thought you said lengthening the rod.

For sure I’d rather have park than 1. I wonder if one of the cable type shifter linkages would remedy that problem? I’m planning either a 4l80e or gear vendors at some point in the future, so I’m interested in whatever solution you may come up with.
I went and bought a piece of 5/16-24 threaded rod and utilized a bunch of pieces from the lokar kit. I made three bends in the threaded rod, one to get past the firewall and two others to get over to the transmission. I now am able to get all gears P,R,N,D,3,2,1. All of them click in nicely, except first gear which I'm barely reaching. I think with a stiffer rod I can get first to click in better. They all line up on the gear indicator as well, and the steering column locks into park. I would not have gotten first if I hadn't changed out the shift gate inside the steering column.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
This is something I'll be running into if I go through with a LS Swap and a 4L80 or 4L60. Will be watching here to see what you guys figure out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL