4L80-E Computer Operation Options / Manual Valve Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
So it is possible to have a 4L80 manuel valvebody with out having to install any electronics?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So it is possible to have a 4L80 manuel valvebody with out having to install any electronics?

Yepper, that's the only way to get around it. NO AUTO FUNCTIONS AT ALL. Not even lock up converter.

Now if you want to, I'd imagine you can hook up the lock up just like you would on a 700r4, and I'd be about certain you could do it on with an activate switch, then have your brake light cancel the lock up. I'd also imagine you can have lock up to only happen in 3rd and 4th, or just 4th if you wanted too.

This also means, if you put the trans in 3rd gear at a stop sign, it's going to take off in 3rd gear. You have to upshift and downshift just as if it were a manual transmission. Essentially it is a manual transmission without a clutch.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I'm going to put a manuel valvebody in a th400 anyway, if I can do it to a 4L80 too I might go that route for the overdrive.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to put a manuel valvebody in a th400 anyway, if I can do it to a 4L80 too I might go that route for the overdrive.

Well hell yeah. You've got nothing to lose there. Cost a few more bucks for the trans, have to cut down the driveshaft and move the crossmember back a tad. Past that, not much different.
I wanted to do it so I can run a real low rear gear and still drive on the freeway.
One thing to make sure of, if you're not running the OE column shifter, and I wouldn't, be sure to get one of the models that support the 4th Gear. A ratchet shifter is a real good idea for a manual valve body. The B&M Quicksilver and the Mega Shifter both support 4 speed autos and backwards compatible to 3 speed auto's too. Also offer reverse valve body pattern if you ever go NHRA Certified. Also available in a taller truck base. The Megashifter doesn't claim to be compatible to 4L80-E but I'd be about certain it's cuz of the pan mounting bracket for the cable and you can get one or mod one. The QuickSilver does claim to be 4L80-E compatible. and is also my choice since it's $30 less, has a taller stick than the Mega Shifter, and I've also had Quicksilvers in 2 of my street/strip vehicles and love the way they function. I've NEVER had a miss shift or an accident hitting N or R even using the standard forward OE valve body pattern.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I'm definitely putting a floor shifter, not sure wich one I want yet. I already have a non shift column waiting to go in. Is the 4l80 as tough as the 400? How much more money over the 400 with a stall, shift kit, and manuel valvebody?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm definitely putting a floor shifter, not sure wich one I want yet. I already have a non shift column waiting to go in. Is the 4l80 as tough as the 400? How much more money over the 400 with a stall, shift kit, and manuel valvebody?

Just as tough as Th400. Many parts interchange in fact. As far as strength, I've heard no issues at all. No issues burning up clutches. Only few problems I've heard is going into limp mode from the ECM and that can be caused several things that aren't even trans related like a bad TPS or bad VSS and of course the occasional solenoid failure. So the few problems I've heard of are all Electronic related and I'd expect it to be just like running a Th400 but with an OD.

As far as cost, I've not done that shopping yet. I just know you can usually find a Th400 core for $75-$100, or $25-$50 if you're me cuz I won't pay over that for one since I have a few already, but normally you see used 4L80-E's for like $300 or so. The lock up converter is sure to cost more, maybe $80-$100 or so. I've not checked into the valve body situation, if you need to get a custom one of if you can buy the kit and convert the OE valve body. I've haven't got that close to that project yet. Still working on gathering parts for the Fo Buh Fo's.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hmmm, manual valve body... I'd probably want to try it out before I went in that direction...

JKnight: if you need help with it, let me know... I'm usually up for getting my hands dirty if there aren't any conflicts to the normal hum drum of life.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Hmmm, manual valve body... I'd probably want to try it out before I went in that direction...

JKnight: if you need help with it, let me know... I'm usually up for getting my hands dirty if there aren't any conflicts to the normal hum drum of life.
Yea that would be cool, there are 3 other squarebody junkies over here too LOL. I dont have any problem manualy shifting a 3 or 4 spd auto, I drive and 18spd all day long around Houston.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh yeah, it's not problem. It becomes 2nd nature and you don't even realize you doing it. It's not like you're wearing out a clutch foot.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Hey Hotrod hate to wake a old thread, but did anyone ever figure out the stock stand alone factory wiring for the 4L80? I just bought a 95 chevy 30 series van with a 6.5 non turbo and 4L80. the injection pump is fully mechanical with just a tps sensor on the side of it. There is a computer that appears to be a engine contol computer under front seat with minimal harness to it going to transmission. Could this be the rare factory stand alone harness since it's a fully mechanical 6.5 with no computer controls?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey Hotrod hate to wake a old thread, but did anyone ever figure out the stock stand alone factory wiring for the 4L80? I just bought a 95 chevy 30 series van with a 6.5 non turbo and 4L80. the injection pump is fully mechanical with just a tps sensor on the side of it. There is a computer that appears to be a engine contol computer under front seat with minimal harness to it going to transmission. Could this be the rare factory stand alone harness since it's a fully mechanical 6.5 with no computer controls?

95 shouldnt be mechanical. there should be a PMD module near the ps/brake boost pump, unless it has been re located behind the bumper.

And just an idea for JK, I would see about modifying an F body console shifter with a truck stick, but then again,i am not a big fan of wrachet shifters.

Last edited:

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I went out and looked again didn't find any other modals. Injection pump is identical to one on my 6.2 m1028. Only difference is the speed sensor on side. Van is also none turbo to. No extra wires tied up. Core support sticker also says 6.5 and nothing about a turbo. I'm hoping its the right parts to put a 4L80 in my army truck. Could it be a special ordered setup?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I went out and looked again didn't find any other modals. Injection pump is identical to one on my 6.2 m1028. Only difference is the speed sensor on side. Van is also none turbo to. No extra wires tied up. Core support sticker also says 6.5 and nothing about a turbo. I'm hoping its the right parts to put a 4L80 in my army truck. Could it be a special ordered setup?

See if you can get a number of the box under the seat and google it...might just be a stand alone trans controller.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I got a service number of 16196390

Latest posts