427 tall deck rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
Thoughts on a 427 tall deck build for 84 Chevy c10, is this motor worth rebuilding with minor modifications to get 450 + hp or is boring and putting a bigger crankshaft more ideal. Want hp but torque is a must; thoughts and opinions would be greatly apprciated.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
Hell yeah, build a 496+ ..:waytogo:
496 stroker it is then, better call the machinist and tell him to bore the motor 60 over. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome by the way. Before you go boring the piss out of that block have it sonic checked. Not all big blocks are created equal. The wide pan rail of a tall deck is stroker friendly and long rods are good too meaning your gonna need to buy some. The rods in a TD are just standard rods it just has them big ass pistons hanging on them. I have one in my collection waiting its turn.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
Welcome by the way. Before you go boring the piss out of that block have it sonic checked. Not all big blocks are created equal. The wide pan rail of a tall deck is stroker friendly and long rods are good too. I have one in my collection waiting its turn.
Motor has been fluxed, cleaned, honed, new cam bearings and frost plugs. Was going to pick it up this weekend. I will post my progress and ask more questions as I continue to build.

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
Yes, it should to be sonic tested, even though they are thick walled they do have core shift some more than others, but I've seen bad ones that were still pretty thick at .060 over.. If it's a street deal this a real good kit for the price..

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sca-191605bie060/overview/
Any thoughts on a camshaft? Was looking at a thumpr retrofit hydraulic roller, not sure if that would be a suitable cam for that build. Looking for torque not so much hp.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Cam is dependent on compression. What heads are you going to use? The Thumper is for noise no real benefit other then sounding good. Any good engine builder will say the same.

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
Cam is dependent on compression. What heads are you going to use?
Up in the air about that, was looking at edelbrock e street or world production heads

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If it's going back to get bored better have him pop the cam bearings, because the block will have to be thoroughly cleaned afterwards before assembly, it probably needs detailing first too..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Up in the air about that, was looking at edelbrock e street or world production heads

I more meant combustion chamber size. And I edited that post about the cam. lol I added stuff. The retro roller is a good idea the thumper not so much.

kellerbm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
427 tall deck
If it's going back to get bored better have him pop the cam bearings, because the block will have to be thoroughly cleaned afterwards before assembly, it probably needs detailing first too..
Motor is still at the shop was going to pick it up this weekend, i will give the guy a call tomorrow to tell him the news[emoji1]

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The Thumper is for noise no real benefit other then sounding good. Any good engine builder will say the same.
Them POS Thumpers are for cruising through the drive in lookin macho, then pull out on the road and get blown away by Grammas grocery getter..:happy175:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Them POS Thumpers are for cruising through the drive in lookin macho, then pull out on the road and get blown away by Grammas grocery getter..:happy175:
That was my point and you can get the same effect by having a vacuum leak lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrel