427 Tall Deck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
So since I've recently decided to keep going with my C10 rather than get rid of it. I started looking for a big block to put on a stand and build little by little. My goal would be a street able 650-750 ish...

I found a guy selling a bare 427 tall deck with 4 bolt mains for $250, I'm planning on haggling to $200. So I'd be building the thing from the bottom up. Even though I'd love for it to come with the crank. It doesn't. So I'd be getting it to a machine shop to be restored and then buying all the parts as I like them, with advice ofc. This engine would ultimately be swapped in once the truck AND the engine are both finished and only missing each other.

For all the grumpy old timers here that will rip me to shreds if I post a question that has been beat more than a dead horse without using the search feature.... I DID USE It! Lol Here's what I've learned so far:

-Tall deck block is called a tall deck because the deck is .400" taller than the standard block

-originally used in truck applications

-the extra deck helped to fit pistons that had a fourth ring on it

-low rpm/high torque/low hp in stock form

- short deck intake manifold will not fit without spacers.

-the factory cranks were great on them.

However, I still have questions.

I just bought a complete Stage 3 upgrade kit for the factory AC on my truck from Classic Auto Air in Tampa Fl that would convert it to r134a along with a modern style compressor, the kit includes everything needed to overhaul the whole system, seals, o rings, evaporator core, hoses, brackets, accumulator etc. This kit will fit my 305 and the guy on the phone told me that when I do eventually convert to Big block all I'd have to do is call them back and get new brackets for the compressor and a compressor with a serpentine belt pulley since I told him I was going with a serpentine belt drive in the big block instead of V-Belt, he said everything else would be the same.

- How much does the tall deck block affect my plans with this?

- I imagine that the brackets for the compressor would be different due to the increased valley spacing, does anyone know if there is a company making brackets for modern compressors on tall decks?

To anyone that has actually used a tall deck in a C10 square.

-how is the header clearance?

-does it make the engine bay excessively tight?

-will I run into issues with fitting an upgraded power brake setup?

-does parts availability make it a lot more expensive to build a tall deck?

Anything else you guys know about these blocks and heir fitment that I should take into account before I decide on the tall deck?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Info on the tall deck stuff is lacking these days, nobody seems to build them anymore.

It would probably be wise to just leave it be and keep waiting for a standard deck block. But for 200 bucks, I doubt I would take my own advice, lol. Especially if the plan is to build it over time.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Info on the tall deck stuff is lacking these days, nobody seems to build them anymore.

It would probably be wise to just leave it be and keep waiting for a standard deck block. But for 200 bucks, I doubt I would take my own advice, lol. Especially if the plan is to build it over time.
Do they not make aftermarket parts for them? I definitely wouldn't want to get into something where everything will have to be custom.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Having replaced a 6.2 with a tall deck, I would not do it again.
I would get a standard deck big block instead.
Even using a modern tall deck performance intake is not simple as they are manufactured for after market heads involved.
I had to have my new tall deck Dart intake machined right out of the box to work with the stock GM heads.
Custom made brackets to support the accessories I needed.
There are some intakes made with a "deep" access for a stock distributor other wise you will need a long version.
It's been a few years and likely it would take some time for me to remember all issues that came up.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Having replaced a 6.2 with a tall deck, I would not do it again.
I would get a standard deck big block instead.
Even using a modern tall deck performance intake is not simple as they are manufactured for after market heads involved.
I had to have my new tall deck Dart intake machined right out of the box to work with the stock GM heads.
Custom made brackets to support the accessories I needed.
There are some intakes made with a "deep" access for a stock distributor other wise you will need a long version.
It's been a few years and likely it would take some time for me to remember all issues that came up.
Hey thanks for the great advice. That's exactly what I was looking for. I passed on the tall deck block for $250 and now found two standard deck for $325 each. I made a thread about it because I have some questions on those. One of the blocks has 4 bolts in the 3 center caps and only 2 bolts on the outer ones. The other has 4 bolts on ever cap. One is a 445 and the other a 959. Don't know which one. I'm leaning more towards the 4 bolt on every cap one. You have any info on this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54