4 link coil spring front 4x4 cc drw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt
New to the forum and need some help. Ive got a 1 ton thats 2wd, dont like that. Also dont like how 4 leafs feel in the front on my k20. Ive been thinking of 4 linking the front, using the old 2wd crossmember with coils and putting my cummins inside it all.
Have any of you guys done this and have some pictures of tips? its hard to find info on it because it always goes right to a lowering thread.
Welding and fabing are no big deal, ive done a fair share just need knowledge before i spend 6 months on it, where i could put leafs,hangers and a 60 under it and be done in a month. Looking for a smooth ridin' hauler, thanks
if anything this might turn into a picture depot for someone else to get ideas

Last edited:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Do some research on leaf spring rates, and shackle length and angle, and put a good quality set our leads in it and be done. It's entirely possible to get a good ride out of leaf springs, most are just too lazy to set them up properly, or too cheap to buy good springs.

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt
i was thinking about that also, but my drivetrain is all cast iron, except my yokes ha cant figure a number for the 5 speed or 205 but the engine weighs 1100. the dodge it came out of had 3? or 4 leafs. not sure if 454HD coil springs will live under that?
ive ridin in alot of leaf spring trucks and theyre not all the same, but my 02 hd with ifs is a caddy compared to any truck thats 4wd. Can you put air bags in the front with or without any other spring?
other peoples input is the best research sometimes especially when you dont know what to google

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
NP205 weighs 248 pounds dry, which 5-speed? You can airbag either axle but they have to be linked. Never was crazy about 4-linking, so many more parts with the potential to fail.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
i was thinking about that also, but my drivetrain is all cast iron, except my yokes ha cant figure a number for the 5 speed or 205 but the engine weighs 1100. the dodge it came out of had 3? or 4 leafs. not sure if 454HD coil springs will live under that?
ive ridin in alot of leaf spring trucks and theyre not all the same, but my 02 hd with ifs is a caddy compared to any truck thats 4wd. Can you put air bags in the front with or without any other spring?
other peoples input is the best research sometimes especially when you dont know what to google
Take all that 2wd junk out. It's doing nothing for you but adding to your problem of sprung weight, and making custom work necessary where it doesn't need to be. Yes your engine weighs 1100 pounds, but that's not a ton more than the big block a k30 would have come from the factory with... Alcan and Deaver can make you leaf spring packs in any length, arch (lift), and spring rate you need.

I have personally made "junk" off the shelf lift springs (rough country, superlift, skyjacker) ride decent and flex decent with nothing more than shackle tuning.

You just need to do some more research, and have a weight figure of what you are adding to the front of the truck, and it can easily be figured out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Where in Ohio are you?

IMHO, just go leaves. The weight of the engine/trans will work in your favor if you want a nice ride. My lifted '79 K30 rides just as nice as my '86 C20 Suburban, both are big block trucks.

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt
NW ohio im leaning towards leafs, just like the idea but more parts to fail is somethin to consider. the internet could always use another 2wd to 4wd/ cummins swap right? haha.
the 454/400 in here now is a DOG compared to the cummins i had in my other chevy sweet jesus. i have the getrag, my DD clutch+ flywheel weighs over 100lbs too! thought id add that
i really just need a place to gather pictures and get some insight because this wont be the only 2wd to 4 or cummins swap i do, or my friends.

Wheres this Alcan and Deaver?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
the 454/400 in here now is a DOG compared to the cummins i had in my other chevy sweet jesus

Lol, that's not a very fair comparison. A smog era 454 is nothing compared to what it can be.

Alcan and Deaver are custom leaf spring companies. They are very expensive but you get exactly what you want to make your truck do the things you want it to do.

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt
i know i know, i just know what a stout 454 feels like but thats in my chevelle that weighs half this damned thing lol

so is using the coils in their original crossmember/"cups" impractical? seems i could mount pads on the axle, link it up, pan bar maybe dual shock and be smooth as a caddy? cant tell me coil springs and front axles dont miss, see; ford and dodge trucks. beefing up the frame somewhere and welding some bars/heims doesnt seem like more work than getting all the parts i need for leafs and getting rid of a huge chunk of metal. plus im kinda into the odd ball crap and like the "newer technology" in an old school sense i guess.

I guess in a few weeks here whichever good deal pokes its head up will be the way i go, if i find a nice d60 by itself ill try the linking, if i find the front third of a chevy 4x4 truck ill go the stock route.
Not done posting yet, and if anyone wants lowering rear shackles and lowered front spring for a 1ton cc drw ill have em out soon enough

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's an interesting idea to use the stock coil buckets. If it weren't dark I'd go take a look at the C20 and see if it might work. Something tells me though, if it would work then we would have seen it done a few times by now.

A few years ago they built that Hummer/Suburban thing on TV. I think they used all the brackets and stuff from a coil sprung Dodge.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think it will depend on the centering of the axle, and possible interference with the crossmember. It would suck to get it 90% done and realize you're going to have to lift it at least 6" so the 3rd member isn't banging into the crossmember. A good set of coil-overs would work nice.

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt
getting the axle aligned will be a big deal but not out of reach, i hope.
i know the truck has to be lifted atleast 4" to fit the cummins how i like it in the dog house and to keep it off the axle. the most off-roading ill do is getting wood.

ive got a lead on a d60 for less than a leg, we'll see how that turns out. i cant wait to tear this thing down and get pictures up .

any design ideas you guys got like a ladder bar style link instead of singles or where to mount the links on the frame or anything im listening, thanks.

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt

12v85k30

Reaction score
First Name
Des
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
5.9L 6bt
You must be registered for see images attach
halfway through shinin up paint

I'll be goin back to this setup. this is the same engine that was in that black truck months ago
rebuilt the pump, resealed the engine and have a brand new trans, shouldnt have much to worry about
:mexsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli