4 link and coil overs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Do a search on a "watts link" panhard bars although archaic work as long as the geometry has been done correctly. Fwiw panhard bars do not necessarily need to be mounted on the backside of the axle either to be functional.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I am wondering how difficult it would be to do a double triangulated 4 link with coilovers ... ditching the panhard bar is what i want to achieve to make a cleaner look for an anti-sway bar in the back.

i am getting close to (finally) tearing into my 83 to start building it for cruising / general asshattery around town with the wife. I would be happy with leaves ... but everyone has leaves. I really like the idea of a 4 link, coilovers, and adding a sway bar to the rear ... who knows, maybe it will see the autocross track one day.
Leafsprings suck...no doubt as they go all the way back to the horse and buggy days...literally. Search online, there are a lot of interesting ways to link the axle.

I replaced my leafs with a parallel four link and never turned back nor regretted pulling the trigger on that mod.

Wracks81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I am wondering how difficult it would be to do a double triangulated 4 link with coilovers ... ditching the panhard bar is what i want to achieve to make a cleaner look for an anti-sway bar in the back.

i am getting close to (finally) tearing into my 83 to start building it for cruising / general asshattery around town with the wife. I would be happy with leaves ... but everyone has leaves. I really like the idea of a 4 link, coilovers, and adding a sway bar to the rear ... who knows, maybe it will see the autocross track one day.

My 2 cents. If your gonna EVER autox it you will need the track bar or watts link to locate the rear solid. You can't even see my panhard bar when the truck is on the ground.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

Triangluated links tend to bind up then unload forcefully. Just watch all the Fox/SN95 chassised Mustangs crashing in Myrtle Beach the same way or google "A body shuffle" to see what I mean.

Parallel with a trac bar is better, and parallel with a Watt's link is better yet.

I'm honestly of the opinion that truck arms with a Watt's is best though. IN the long, long term, I'm probably going to go that route on my own truck.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Wow ... that was a lot of information fast! Thanks.

I am pretty well over the leaf springs. They are simple and effective and they would work just fine for me .... but stock just sucks.

I have 4 linked a jeep and toyota in the past ... but double triangulated and for off road use. both drove fine on the street but were not raced or driven hard at all on the road.

I guess the common consensus from last night, and today, is a parallel link arrangement with a panhard or watts.

I am not familiar with Truck arms. More research is needed.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I am not familiar with Truck arms. More research is needed.

Truck arms generically refers to the Chevrolet trailing arm type suspension that started in 1960 on the 1/2 ton trucks. Used in conjunction with a Watts link, it's the same suspension found on the rear of NASCAR's since the 70's sometime, and to this day as far as I know.

The long arm that, on a truck, goes up to just behind the cab, makes for a very stable suspension.

Wracks81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Going to pick up my tank from No Limit tomorrow! Hooefully have it mounted this weekend. There will be pics to come!

Wracks81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 scottsdale
Engine Size
She is on the ground!
You must be registered for see images attach

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
She is on the ground!
What all did you have them do?
I love that thing!

Wracks81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 scottsdale
Engine Size

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well....yours is not quite on "the ground"....it still has a wee bit to go......lol

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I dig the work you had done.

Wracks81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Well....yours is not quite on "the ground"....it still has a wee bit to go......lol

Lol. Don't want it THAT low.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Lol. Don't want it THAT low.

Haha..not for the faint of heart for sure. It rides better than it ever did with the bag setup. Aired up the front is about 4 inches lower than stock, and of course aired down......well....I have been known to crush and push my share of beer cans across parking lots.

The air ride system is linked to the alarm. When the alarm is armed, the air is dumped from the system. Its becomes a brick.......hell...you can't even roll the truck...lol

People ask me why......my reply....because I can.

Wracks81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I misjudged cutting my springs a coil and a half! Lol. I think since it WAS a 6cyl truck and now has a 350 it was a bit much.she is on the bumpstops! Anybody with more experience with these trucks that can tell me what springs to get? 2" drop?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag