4" Front Drop Questions (shock/drop spindle combo)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lasvegas76C10

Reaction score
First Name
Rudy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'd appreciate any advice from anyone with experience, which is pretty everyone except me.

I have a 76 C10. I lowered the rear using a western chassis flip kit, Belltech C-Notch and Belltech stock shocks using shock extenders. This has already been completed. This provided my with an approximate 6 inch drop in the rear.

Now time for the front. I had planned to use 2.5" drop spindles with stock coils and stock shocks. I have already purchased the stock shocks as they came in a kit with the rear stock shocks. It appears that I need to drop the front a total of 4 inches to achieve the desired look I'm after.

Here is my question. If I use a Belltech 3 inch drop spindles and a 1 inch drop coil, can I still use the stock shock, or do I need to buy drop shocks for the front? The wheel/tire combo I puchased is a 20x8 wheel with 245 45 20 tires.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Rudy

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I am not a suspension guru, but if it were my truck and I did not want to buy new shocks I would try it and if it does not work (bottoms out the shock while driving) then I would get a shorter shock for the front. You would only be compressing the shock 1 inch more with the coil you plan to use. Maybe Belltech could verify this?

To be 100% sure with no doubts however, 2 new shorter shocks would remove any doubt.

lasvegas76C10

Reaction score
First Name
Rudy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello OldBlueDually and thank you for your response. You are correct, getting shorter shocks is probably the best way to solve the issue.

Thank you....Rudy

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Make sure your wheels will work with the 3" drop spindle. You may have a clearance issue with the lower control arm if you are still using 15" wheels.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
You can run the stock shock. The spindles do not affect the suspension travel which is what the shock sees. It only sees the 1" shorter spring which isn't an issue.

Also if you haven't bought the parts yet. Do the 2.5" spindle an a 2" spring. The 3/1 combo usually leaves the front a tad higher when doing a flip kit in the rear. The stock length shock will still be ok on that setup as well.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
While there is nothing wrong with the tried and true Belltech spindle....if you ever plan on running bigger brakes or large wheels 20" and larger or just want something better, I would look at the Wilwood spindle or either version of the CPP Modular spindle. All three are designed for bigger brakes, the CPP brings the wheel in a tad as well, and the CPP X10 is cartridge style to really hold up to big wheels and/ or aggressive driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota