383 Stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah but dude still bought a 383 .what happened to OP anyways? Is he still upset? Did he go to jail for whuppin that dude's ass OR WHAT?
Let's bail him out and go pay another visit. :evillol:

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
I would never question the power difference between a sbc and bbc.
In the late 80's I purchased a '73 k2500 with an lt1 the po had installed in front of it's 4 speed. It was a beast. I was young and fuel was cheep. After a cam failure caused piston and valve damage, I sold the lt1 as a core and dropped in a 454. Hands down better overall performance but the fuel burn jumped up. That gain wasn't free.
For average driving (light load), I am expecting to be spinning the engine at 2600 rpm on the hwy with this truck's low gears (4.56). With similar fuel to air ratios in consideration, would 454 cid not be burning a fair bit more fuel than 383 cid under those conditions? An honest question for my build. Was thinking the stroker would be a more economical package and still have lots of torque for it when pulling a trailer.
I didn't get back into squares expecting great economy, but would like to pick it up where I can.
Sorry if I have derailed this.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hmm... To each their own I guess?
For a capable person building their own sbc, why wouldn't you bump it up for a few more $$?
I went with a .020 over 5.7 on my last build. This second engine is just sitting in the shadows waiting for some attention.
I am referring to a relatively mild truck stroker build that will likely never see north of 5000 rpm.
One of the biggest highlights of this thread, it's the best practice of boring oversize 0.020. For many years the industry standard was 0.030/0.060 and blocks went to scrap afterwards. Had the industry done .020/.040/.060 you'd get one more rebuild and there would be a lot more suitable cores out there. Buck69 saved a block for a future generation!

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
One of the biggest highlights of this thread, it's the best practice of boring oversize 0.020. For many years the industry standard was 0.030/0.060 and blocks went to scrap afterwards. Had the industry done .020/.040/.060 you'd get one more rebuild and there would be a lot more suitable cores out there. Buck69 saved a block for a future generation!
Don't know about that. lol.
My wife says she is going to burry me with the boat that engine was built for when my time is up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1