38 yr old Ziebart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Quick opinion on cancer repair, and trying to do a more 'original' light restoration of my 74. It's in immaculate condition considering it didn't come from AZ or something, but some rust is starting. It was Ziebart'd in '74 when new along with a slew of other dealer options. The ziebart saved the truck, but is now starting to destroy it in spots. If it cracks, it ends up making a barrier that holds moisture in.

So I'm not sure which direction to go. Anyone know the best way or how bad it is to get this **** off? I could put it on a lift, and start going to town with a sand blaster. I could grind away as lightly cancerous spots, repair, then re-undercoat the whole thing, but down the road the truck could be worth less covered in undercoating. What should the factory finish be underneath? Flat black? If I did the blasting I could repaint underneath with POR15/Rustoleum. Just looking for some opinions before I :superhack:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Can you post pics of the problem areas?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Try a needle scaling gun. They kick ass. Google or YouTube it and look at the videos.

Posted From Hell

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Cool, thanks.....will get some pics.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Im a true believer in Ziebart! My '96 F-350 had it done from the factory and It has basically ZERO rust even after 200,000 miles in MICHIGAN! That's impressive!

Would a good wash in Dawn dish soap do it? Itll take wax, grease, etc off on a normal car but not so sure on a Ziebart coated one. Just a thought!

superbee70

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Best way to get off most undercoating is to heat it up and scrape it off. It's alot of fun. I did all of my superbee this way, propane torch in one hand and scraper in the other. Some guys have said they had success with a steam genie/pressure washer combo.

But your right, once it cracks it will hold moisture and you'll get surface rust underneath the undercoat.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Best way to get off most undercoating is to heat it up and scrape it off. It's alot of fun. I did all of my superbee this way, propane torch in one hand and scraper in the other.

Yup, and this will also help track down any unknown fuel leaks too! LoL!

superbee70

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yup, and this will also help track down any unknown fuel leaks too! LoL!

Yep, good idea to have fuel lines removed, rugs out, etc. I was doing a complete rebuild and basically working with a shell.

JohnnyOwens

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Quick opinion on cancer repair, and trying to do a more 'original' led lights restoration of my 74. It's in immaculate condition considering it didn't come from AZ or something, but some rust is starting. It was Ziebart'd in '74 when new along with a slew of other dealer options. The ziebart saved the truck, but is now starting to destroy it in spots. If it cracks, it ends up making a barrier that holds moisture in.

So I'm not sure which direction to go. Anyone know the best way or how bad it is to get this **** off? I could put it on a lift, and start going to town with a sand blaster. I could grind away as lightly cancerous spots, repair, then re-undercoat the whole thing, but down the road the truck could be worth less covered in undercoating. What should the factory finish be underneath? Flat black? If I did the blasting I could repaint underneath with POR15/Rustoleum. Just looking for some opinions before I :superhack:
You have not shared any pics till now.. I will really help me if you have some pics to share.. Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666