350 Turns over but does not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinDube

1976 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
So i changed my rear main seal on my sbc 350, the trans was out so the motor was leaning back and I noticed my distributor cap was breaking on the weight of the motor against the cab, i started the truck and ran it for only a minute till I realised, The truck also makes a different noise when turning over, its not knocking its just a wierd rythm, it has a new oil pump so could that be the reason? And also yes i checked the condition of the crank bearings and retorqued them properly. Could it be the distributor making that noise too or?

When I put the trans back on and crossmember and leveled the motor back out I realised that the cap had popped off. But the truck is turning over now and not starting. Distributor or?? and if so what distributor should i put in? MSD? i heard the streetfires are good quality ignition systems.

AND I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION! ITS NOT MUCH, BUT THERES A SMALL DEPOSIT OF OIL THAT ENDS UP DRIPPING OFF THE STARTER BOLT, ITS NOT A SERIOUS LEAK BUT ITS STILL NEAR MY STARTER AND I DONT LIKE IT! CAN THAT BE THE VALVE COVER SEALS OR?

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Maybe pull that distributor off and verify that it's running true? Depending on how much load was on the thing, some bending may have occurred. That's a bit of a long shot if the cap isn't completely lunched.

If it REALLY took some abuse, that oil may be leaking from the hold-down where it mates to the block with a gasket, but I'd bet you'd see some obvious carnage if that was the case.

If you need a new dizzy msd is the go to if it's within the budget. If you're like me and just want sparks to happen - https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850001r

Be prepared to re-curve the thing if you want some extra advance, and replace the connector on it... other than that, flawless!

Last edited:

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Ok thanks for the advice! and when I install a new distributor Ive heard I set the timing to 12-15 when idling is that true?

Old Painless

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reid
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
That depends.. is it a bone stock 350? 12-15 is probably a good start if it's a vac advance unit, play around from there.

It's usually better to go easy on the advance. If you hear knocking take it back a ways. If it tries to lock itself up during starting you're way too advanced.

Do a little research first, is been a while since I've touched a stock 350.. Always better to run rich and retarded than suffer detonation and overhearing etc.

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Ok, and yes its a stock 350 and has a vac advance from the distributor that runs to the side of my quadrajet carb

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
1. Do you have spark?
2. Have you checked the timing while cranking to make
sure you are not way off?

I don't think I would be jumping to a new distributer without doing the simple checks first.

Last edited:

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I havent checked if i'm getting spark or not and I want to get that timing tape to put around my balancer cause all i have is the little notch in it. I just want to get rid of my old oem distributor because its all cracked up and the cover and wires are all patched up with masking tape (wasnt my idea haha got it like that) and I bet the rotor and all the distributor equipment probably bent when the motor leaned back on it

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
So I fould another problem, the 6 and 8 wires were switched up

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If it were me, I'd get my timing light and use the inductive method to see if I was getting spark at all eight cylinders and check the timing. If you need to replace the cap if it got cracked, do so. Same if the rotor incurred damage, but as most of this has already been mentioned, I wouldn't race to go buy a new distributor unless you found problems.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If it were me, I'd get my timing light and use the inductive method to see if I was getting spark at all eight cylinders and check the timing. If you need to replace the cap if it got cracked, do so. Same if the rotor incurred damage, but as most of this has already been mentioned, I wouldn't race to go buy a new distributor unless you found problems.

According to the OP there are wiring issues but those are easily fixed via solder and shrink tube as well.

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The truck has been a plow for 41 years so I definately want to change all to new. I already ordered it and i just prefer to have new for $90

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Just installed a black cap summit racing distributor. Looks great and wired er up no problem. If you do it like me I just take all the wires up and i know the firing order already is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Would post pics but my phone is dead

AustinDube

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I have a dead battery and a busted fuel line so I'll change that and borrow my sister's battery and time it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69