350 timing using vacuum gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I talked with my old mechanic today and he suggested I check the timing using a vacuum pressure gauge (had issues with the timing marker being off and truck dying when i get close.) He said it may be more accurate since the harmonic balancer can slip. Has anyone done their timing this way and would be willing to explain how to do it?

He told me to hook the gauge up to the vacuum line you disconnect from the distributor, but a couple pages I read said to hook it up elsewhere so now I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Only accurate way is with a light, but first you need to find absolute TDC, easiest way is with a piston stop, you can buy them or like I do make one out of a junk spark plug..
Screw the piston stop into the #1 spark plug hole by hand, and then slowly rotate the crankshaft by hand until the piston come up against the stop. Mark your balancer with a marker, and then slowly rotate the crankshaft by hand in the opposite direction until you come up against the stop again. Mark your balancer again. Measure the distance between the two marks and divide by 2. This is your TDC, now you'll get an accurate reading with the light.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll probably try this after the vacuum route.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I have used the vacuum for setting the timing on a carbed 350. The harmonic balancer had slipped off the original mark. Put the vacuum hose on a direct vacuum source to the manifold. I set it at 17hg. After I installed the new balancer, I used a timing light.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lolwut?
Hook the vacuum gauge to the vacuum port behind the carb, in the intake..
Loosen the hold down and adjust timing until you see the highest number you can get.
Fine tune a SMIDGEN either way blipping the throttle and lock it down.
It's not hard. You're after a big number.

If you ever manage it with a light, it'll be very close to your max vacuum adjustment. If it drives okay, don't worry about it too much. You need might change it ten times before it "feels right".

Last edited:

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Perfect thanks guys! Sounds pretty simple!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc