350 keeps dieseling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
im not sure where im going wrong but my 350(carbureted) keeps dieseling / turning over after i shut it off, i replaced carbs 3 months ago from a holly double pumper to an edelbrock 600, ive leaned out my carb to the max and timed my truck in multiple occasions and nothing has been successful so far.. any ideas??

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
im not sure where im going wrong but my 350(carbureted) keeps dieseling / turning over after i shut it off, i replaced carbs 3 months ago from a holly double pumper to an edelbrock 600, ive leaned out my carb to the max and timed my truck in multiple occasions and nothing has been successful so far.. any ideas??

check the float level and make sure its right. whats it idling at?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
idle speed or timing. the main 2 reasons, the third is too low of octane fuel.

mostly it's too high or idle speed, o too far advanced timing.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...i replaced carbs 3 months ago from a holly double pumper to an edelbrock 600, ive leaned out my carb to the max...
Leaned it out to the max?? You know that will make them run really hot, boiling the gas in the float bowls and probably cause dieselling right? If you dont have a high performance cam your timing should be ~ 8-10 degrees BTDC. Then adjust your idle air screws till you get the highest/smoothest idle rpm and best vacuum, then screw them clockwise equally till you shave off about 50 rpm, this is called "Lean Best" setting. All the idle tuning info can be found in the Edelbrock manual that came with the carb or on their website in the form of a .pdf file. Post back how it goes!

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
idle speed or timing. the main 2 reasons, the third is too low of octane fuel.

mostly it's too high or idle speed, o too far advanced timing.

Leaned it out to the max?? You know that will make them run really hot, boiling the gas in the float bowls and probably cause dieselling right? If you dont have a high performance cam your timing should be ~ 8-10 degrees BTDC. Then adjust your idle air screws till you get the highest/smoothest idle rpm and best vacuum, then screw them clockwise equally till you shave off about 50 rpm, this is called "Lean Best" setting. All the idle tuning info can be found in the Edelbrock manual that came with the carb or on their website in the form of a .pdf file. Post back how it goes!
Yupper! IIRC, factory timing is 4*... i would say start there, get the carb tuned, i say get a q-jet, or at least put the holley back on....those Edelbrock/carter carbs are junk. Look for vacuum leakes too, like on the intake manifold gaskets, the easies way to find the leaks on the underside of the manifold, is to use a propane torch with the tip removed, and a hose stuck onto it, and stick it in your oil filler with a shop rag stuffed around it, the disconnect an breaters or pcv valves you may have, and plug the holes in the rocker arm covers, start the truck, and then turn on the propane, and listen for the rpm change....if not, underside of the gaskests are good. you can use carb cleaner on the top.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
...those Edelbrock/carter carbs are junk...
Everybody's entitled to their own opinion on this but in my opinion you couldn't be further from wrong. My 1406 has been great to me for many years, and a lot easier to work on than q-jet/holleys.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
it idles at about 950

set the timing at 4btdc(assuming your not running a radical cam),and turn the idle down to about 625 to 650 in drive.

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
thanks for the help guys im gunna jump on it tommorow ill let you guys know how it goes. i think its probably going to have to be somthing with the carb so im gunna take it all apart over haul it stick the stock jets etc back into it and go from there. another problem is when i barly step on the gas like to go 5-10mph it sputters and almost dies, im thinking to much gas in my carb??

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
thanks for the help guys im gunna jump on it tommorow ill let you guys know how it goes. i think its probably going to have to be somthing with the carb so im gunna take it all apart over haul it stick the stock jets etc back into it and go from there. another problem is when i barly step on the gas like to go 5-10mph it sputters and almost dies, im thinking to much gas in my carb??

you have egr?

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
set the timing at 4btdc(assuming your not running a radical cam),and turn the idle down to about 625 to 650 in drive.

for some odd reason i tried lowering the idle at aroung 650/700 and adjusting the timing and sticking softer springs in the carb im having no dieseling but no power and sputtering when i barly touch the pedel

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
no egr :/

Ok, thats good, one less thing on the check list. Before pulling the carb apart, get everything back to stock as much as possible, then check for vac leaks, check your distributor for excessive up and down motion....then we will take it from there.

Last edited:

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ok, thats good, one less thing on the check list. Before pulling the carb apart, get everything back to stock as much as possible, then check for vac leaks, check your distributor for excessive up and down motion....then we will take it from there.

haha thanks will do if my truck wasnt bigger then the garage port then i wouldent have to wait until tommorow, oh well ill keep you guys updated

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
so i put my carb back to factory settings and the dieseling is not as frequent and my sputtering is faint but still there?? when i tried tuning my idling screws when i leaned them all the way out i had a stronger idle so now im back to square one??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast