350 Engine Improvements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all - long time no post, and this should actually be a rather fun one.

I swapped my tired 250 out for a 350 last summer (2014) which I found for an unbeatable price on Craigslist - $125 with an engine stand. While yes it's from a '72 El Camino (rated at 165HP I believe) and yes, it is only a two bolt main, almost everything was there and in near immaculate condition.

Why not, right?
She's been running solid ever since, but good god is she slow...

The only non-stock items in this engine are flattop pistons and an eddie 1406, with the irrelevant parts being a double roller and an improved oil pump.

Now... this spring I want to attack the top end of this thing, so of course I'm looking at new heads to replace the *** of suck known as 70s smog heads , an aftermarket intake manifold, and of course a mild cam.

My question to the forum is this: since I'm not touching the bottom end, what would be my best option for the aforementioned combination without pushing my compression beyond pump gas or breaking something with an overly aggressive cam?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If the heads are original to the motor, what on them is smog equipment? I know converters showed up around '75, not sure about egr crap. That being said, any idea what you've got for compression now? Cam selection won't affect compression, just need to make sure the lift stays on the happy side of the valve train limits. Also need to know where you want the cam to make power, can make a difference if you have an auto or manual. The last cams I bought, were recommended by the tech guys at summit or jegs. They can usually steer you to a good setup.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the heads are original to the motor, what on them is smog equipment?

Yeah... that's true. I'm an idiot. No EGR, etc. etc. I just started to refer to anything 70s as "smog" at a certain point.

Thanks for the tip.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I personally would find another engine to rebuild while you continue to drive the truck as is. When you start hot rodding a unknown engine things can go back quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels