305 build advice. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I paid $500 for excellent running 305/ 700r4 combo that didn't leak, use oil, and I was able to drive before being pulled for an LS. Yes, it is a 305 but I was able to find similar deals with 350's. I didn't care as it is my sons 1st car and I'm swapping cams, intake, exhaust and shooting for a reliable 220 hp with good gas mileage which is plenty for a cruiser. If I was doing a full rebuild and max power, yes I'd probably go with 350 to start but I wouldnt throw away a good running 305.

So many people are swapping LS engines into their cars/ trucks now, you can find great deals on motor/trans combos if you ask around. I've seen plenty of high power motors sell cheap. The NRE small block in my '63 Chevy II makes over 650hp, has all good parts and I doubt I could get $3500 for it if I ever decided to sell it.

If you are looking for real power, I'd skip the big block, buy a CAD 500, offset grind the crank, and get 540 cubic inches for about the same money. Bigger displacement, much lighter, extremely smooth running and more power than a big block.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I paid $500 for excellent running 305/ 700r4 combo that didn't leak, use oil, and I was able to drive before being pulled for an LS. Yes, it is a 305 but I was able to find similar deals with 350's. I didn't care as it is my sons 1st car and I'm swapping cams, intake, exhaust and shooting for a reliable 220 hp with good gas mileage which is plenty for a cruiser. If I was doing a full rebuild and max power, yes I'd probably go with 350 to start but I wouldnt throw away a good running 305.

So many people are swapping LS engines into their cars/ trucks now, you can find great deals on motor/trans combos if you ask around. I've seen plenty of high power motors sell cheap. The NRE small block in my '63 Chevy II makes over 650hp, has all good parts and I doubt I could get $3500 for it if I ever decided to sell it.

If you are looking for real power, I'd skip the big block, buy a CAD 500, offset grind the crank, and get 540 cubic inches for about the same money. Bigger displacement, much lighter, extremely smooth running and more power than a big block.

I'm not going with a big block, I was joking about that. Somebody has almost talked me into going with a 350 and turning it into a 383 stroker. If I could fix up my 305 just a little bit of money I would, but it's going to cost almost the same as doing a 350, so I might as well just do that.

I wouldn't mind having something with a lot of power like the 383 stroker. But, mostly I just want to drive my truck. I sometimes drive it to work 1-2 hours away, sometimes I drive it into town for fun, and occasionally I go get a ton of gravel in it.

I don't hot rod it and never will. I don't race it and never will. I want to put an engine in his truck and never have to worry about it blowing up on me or tearing itself apart because it has too much raw power. I would imagine 300 HP would be way more than enough for me.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
MAKE UP YER MIND ALREADY !!!
You must be registered for see images attach

I was joking lol. I'm going with a 350. I am trying to decide if it's a good idea to turn one into a 383 stroker. Or even if it's worth the extra time and money to do so. What is your opinion?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
If you are willing to buy the parts and do the work or fund the rebuild yeah sure. But this seems to be snowballing quickly. We're a couple beers and a few drunk clicks away from a fancy crate engine...big block apparently. ;) You started out just a short time ago wanting info on modding your original 305.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
If you are willing to buy the parts and do the work or fund the rebuild yeah sure. But this seems to be snowballing quickly. We're a couple beers and a few drunk clicks away from a fancy crate engine...big block apparently. ;) You started out just a short time ago wanting info on modding your original 305.

So you're saying I should go with a Cummins diesel! You're the boss!

On a more serious note though... I've been doing a lot of reading and talking with the fine folks on this site and it just doesn't seem to make any sense to completely rebuild and supe up the 305 when I can do a 350 for almost the exact same price. I only want to do it once. Unless I enjoy it that is

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
So you're saying I should go with a Cummins diesel! You're the boss!

On a more serious note though... I've been doing a lot of reading and talking with the fine folks on this site and it just doesn't seem to make any sense to completely rebuild and supe up the 305 when I can do a 350 for almost the exact same price. I only want to do it once. Unless I enjoy it that is
No, if you remember I said ls3. And I have a modded 305 so I'll be following your progress.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Hmm... I wouldn't mind having a 383 stroker. I looked on eBay and I like how the stroker kit comes with everything I would need parts wise.

So... If I found a used 350, bought a stoker kit and some vortec heads, a camshaft, lifters, and rockers, I would pretty much have all the parts I needed right? Then I would need to take everything to the machine shop and ask them to machine the block for the stroker kit.

Could I even still use my original 700r4 transmission with my new 383 stroker engine? Or would it snap my transmission and rear end in half?

Haha no problem with your current transmission. You just want to be sure the TV cable is adjusted properly. Removing and replacing it when your new engine goes gives things a chance to change so don't take it for granted the TV cable is still adjusted correctly.
Again, drop in to your engine builder shop and run it by them. Before you go shopping for a junker 350 to rebuild, look around for a block only. Sometimes a guy will spin a rod and take to the shop. They give an estimate and the guy walks away or gets something different. There is always the chance you can find a good block with no crank and that can be had for a bad song...
OR...
the engine builder might even have a 350 ready to... one that a customer never picked up and just sitting there.. shop wants to get their $ back out of it.
Remember you have tie on your side, so shop around and put word out.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
No, if you remember I said ls3. And I have a modded 305 so I'll be following your progress.

Or lack thereof lol. I will update back from time to time. I'm hoping to get this engine I'm looking at. A 350 stock, but complete for $100.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When you've had enough beers, you can go from the big block to the Falconer V12.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef