3 port fuel tank selector valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alaska 79 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
For the three port fuel tank selector valve use a NAPA part number 2-2057.

You must be registered for see images attach

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
All of these 3 port universal solenoids I have found have been for 5/16 hose. I found one from Summit that was listed as 3/8, but when I got it, it was also 5/16. I had to go to a 6 port, then just capped off the unused ports.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All of these 3 port universal solenoids I have found have been for 5/16 hose. I found one from Summit that was listed as 3/8, but when I got it, it was also 5/16. I had to go to a 6 port, then just capped off the unused ports.

I thought the early style 6-port was the one that was not available new?

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got mine from Rock Auto. I had to do some rewiring to make it work

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I got mine from Rock Auto. I had to do some rewiring to make it work

So it was the later style one then? Not the type with a single wire hookup.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So it was the later style one then? Not the type with a single wire hookup.
Thats one issue i find, im not trying to wire in that big long plug. I want a direct replacement.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The replacement type is the one I finished up changing to. Works fine with the 3/8" hose. I did wire it through a relay and fuse though, in the event of the solenoid coil burning out. works fine.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Mine does not work, so interested in this....

You must be registered for see images attach

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is this for a duel tank truck? I've thought about going to two tanks. Classic Trucks and NPD has the tanks and fuel lines and all that but it still looks like a pain to install. And now ya'll are saying the three port valve isn't available? I have a fuel tank with three hoses on top and I can get the same for the other tank. There are some that are four hose tanks and I think they may be for the two tank set up but I'd have to study it some more.

So where else can the three hose valves be found? By any chance does Chevrolet still have duel tank trucks and may offer this valve for them? Or have they gone super complicated like everything else with vehicles these days, all computerized?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is this for a duel tank truck? I've thought about going to two tanks. Classic Trucks and NPD has the tanks and fuel lines and all that but it still looks like a pain to install. And now ya'll are saying the three port valve isn't available? I have a fuel tank with three hoses on top and I can get the same for the other tank. There are some that are four hose tanks and I think they may be for the two tank set up but I'd have to study it some more.

So where else can the three hose valves be found? By any chance does Chevrolet still have duel tank trucks and may offer this valve for them? Or have they gone super complicated like everything else with vehicles these days, all computerized?

The standard 6-port setup would be for a three hose sending unit. You have feed, return, and vent. The vent goes to a wobble valve or the charcoal canister depending on emissions, the feed and return from each tank go to the switching valve. Early 6-port(like mine) are a single wire activation that grounds through the body of the valve itself.

Almost every year could have had either 3 port or 6 port, especially early years. The later years went to almost exclusively 6 port to remove vapor lock issues that occurred with the 3 port setup and the lack of return line.

Its also important to note only long bed trucks have enough room to fit a 20 gallon saddle tank. All short beds can only fit a 16 gallon on either side due to the forward rear spring mount being in the way of the larger tank on the short bed trucks.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
duplicate post

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bextreme04,

Oh, so that's why when I'm looking up tanks to use there are either a 16 gal. or a 20 gal. tank. I didn't know what the short beds used and I guess I assumed they were the 16 gal. tank, but see the tank in my truck, '74 is a 18.5 gal. tank. Another oddity for my truck on top of all the other odd ball off truck parts I've discovered on it, i.e. 1/2 a Z28 motor...for real, 4x4 springs, etc. It could be the fact that the first half of the '74 year was kept points type distributor like mine was and the second half of the year went with the new HEI dist.

So maybe there were other changes GM was making for the way all pickup trucks were going to be, like the heavier springs like mine. Why have light duty springs in one model and heavier springs in another model? They knew people were going to load the crap out of these trucks so why not put the heavier springs in all of them to begin with and then you'd have a more durable pickup in all models.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128