3/8 flex head ratchet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowpro90

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
I have been wanting a 3/8" flex head ratchet for some time now. I received a gift card to Lowes,so I figured I would use it on that. The 3/8 flex head was $29 by itself and on the end cap I found a spark plug kit that came with the identicle ratchet along with two spark plug sockets and a extension for $17. What's up with that?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You'll probably be taking it back frequently. Kobalt has gone down the drain as far as quality since it went to Taiwan.

snowpro90

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
Besides the big name tools any recommendation? How about craftsman?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Craftsman is even worse, they're Chinese now and absolute junk.

I'd go find a good used truck brand on ebay. Or even an older C-Man. I don't like to cheap out on ratchets especially. I bought a 3/8s Mac red handle long flex head for $5 at a pawn shop and got a rebuild kit for free from Mac.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
The shop I work for is attached to a NAPA store. I get an employee discount on purchases there and decided that I would break down and pick up that 3/8" swivel ratchet. I was floored at the markup that is on tools. Let's just say I could have bought 2 at my cost for what they retail for and still had change.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The shop I work for is attached to a NAPA store. I get an employee discount on purchases there and decided that I would break down and pick up that 3/8" swivel ratchet. I was floored at the markup that is on tools. Let's just say I could have bought 2 at my cost for what they retail for and still had change.

NAPA's "list" price isn't what they charge anyone, not even a walk-in customer. I don't know why they do that, I think it's silly.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
NAPA's "list" price isn't what they charge anyone, not even a walk-in customer. I don't know why they do that, I think it's silly.

I just know it on the shelf at $27. I paid much less than that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just know it on the shelf at $27. I paid much less than that.

I just wasn't sure what you were basing it off of, but I do know they have stuff marked for a lot of profit. I worked for quite a while at a shop that did a lot of business with NAPA, our discount was basically like the employee discount. Some items were able to be discounted more than others too, we could often get brake rotors cheaper than the employees, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke