2WD to 4x4 conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Step

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 3/4 ton
Engine Size
Yes you can convert your 2wd to 4x4,a lot of rivets to drill out and hole saw out the front frame for the shackle mount. I used a 79 gmc 1 ton donor up graded the frame mounts front and rear with diy4x heavy duty mounts. My donor truck had the Dana 60 with 4:56 gears and I added the same gears to the rear.rebuilding the transfer case now.

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
Ok what is the end game here? How do you intend to use the truck? How SERIOUS a 4x4 do you want? What size tires are you thinking and WHAT do'
you want to use the truck for?

I'm asking this because if you want a stock like truck 4x4 vs a big tire formidable off road truck there is a difference. If you want a big lifted flexy truck that you can really work off road then there is a solution. That solution is to hang a 52" rear leaf pack resulting in about 4" of life and much more wheel travel. There are two kits available for this and a 2wheel drive frame will work absolutely the same as a 4x4 frame. ORD and honestly better yet, DIY4x4 has a better setup.
These kits supply a new forward mount for the springs, and as much as it is a 'kit' there are often enough variables that more often than not require some
poking and prodding so better have at least a torch or plasma cutter on hand.

Please use the 'quote' button if you have more questions here, that way I'll know you're looking for me.
So I’m not looking for an insane 4x4 conversion. I’m looking for a stock like 4x4 conversion that I could maybe lift a little bit but also use as a daily driver or to tow things because it’s a flatbed with a gooseneck attachment. So your saying I don’t need a whole other frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
I have a '91 Suburban that I'm going to frame swap. After looking at all that was entailed to just change suspension, I decided to go this route and should come out money ahead.
$500 got me the frame, trans, t-case, 3.73 gears front and rear, rally wheels with trim rings and centers, good seats and a boatload of spare parts from the extensively hail damaged donor.
I have a big gantry crane that I plan to use to lift the bodies. Front clips will be pulled first, intact.
The good thing is I'll have a frame that I can install the lift, steering box brace and a handful of other things without rolling around on the damned cold ground under a truck.
For 500? You got all that for 500$, that’s crazy man.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
^ you would have a cat if you saw the time capsule '83 that I bought about a month ago. I have to replace the cracked dash, just happen to have one I salvaged years ago.
Fresh paint, perfect seats, 60K on engine rebuild, 40K on trans rebuild, new tires, garage kept the past 20 years and driven less than 7000 miles in that time period. Guy asked $3K, I couldn't even make myself offer $2999, this thing is a peach.
I already had the '91 2WD that I just bought the '84 4WD donor for but couldn't pass up the '83. I hope to send it to Loveland CO for the grandkids so they can actually get out into the mountains. That will leave this one for me to build as I want to.

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
^ you would have a cat if you saw the time capsule '83 that I bought about a month ago. I have to replace the cracked dash, just happen to have one I salvaged years ago.
Fresh paint, perfect seats, 60K on engine rebuild, 40K on trans rebuild, new tires, garage kept the past 20 years and driven less than 7000 miles in that time period. Guy asked $3K, I couldn't even make myself offer $2999, this thing is a peach.
I already had the '91 2WD that I just bought the '84 4WD donor for but couldn't pass up the '83. I hope to send it to Loveland CO for the grandkids so they can actually get out into the mountains. That will leave this one for me to build as I want to.
That’s crazy, I don’t understand how people could sell it for that cheap, did the guy not know what it was worth or something??

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
That’s crazy, I don’t understand how people could sell it for that cheap, did the guy not know what it was worth or something??

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
So I’m not looking for an insane 4x4 conversion. I’m looking for a stock like 4x4 conversion that I could maybe lift a little bit but also use as a daily driver or to tow things because it’s a flatbed with a gooseneck attachment. So your saying I don’t need a whole other frame?

I'm saying it's either a 52" rear spring with a kit from DIY4x4, which will give you rock crawler capable suspension, or find a 4x4 frame.
Your 2x frame is different than the 4x4. The part of the frame that sweeps up for suspension starts a little more forward and there is no room for the rear swinging shackle the 4x4 needs. You can force it to work with a flat spring with a small eye at the rear. Any arch to the spring makes it longer as suspension compresses and that swinging shackle will meet the bottom of the frame.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

It depends where you are and who the people are you're dealing with. On one hand I can sell a 4x4 shortbox frame with diffs for $2000, because everyone wants them and restored they fetch a premium. But regular 4x4 frames or complete trucks I can find for free. People eventually have to PAY someone to remove them from rotting on their property.
The deeper I get into collecting parts and such, the more people learn about me and the more calls I get to haul away someone's rusting metal. I have three 4x4s waiting for me to haul home this summer, and they are all within minutes of my place. One truck runs good with a rebuilt engine with virtually
zero miles on it. The cab is SHOT! and the clutch is next. No box and no tires but I will be able to drive it on to my trailer.

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
I'm saying it's either a 52" rear spring with a kit from DIY4x4, which will give you rock crawler capable suspension, or find a 4x4 frame.
Your 2x frame is different than the 4x4. The part of the frame that sweeps up for suspension starts a little more forward and there is no room for the rear swinging shackle the 4x4 needs. You can force it to work with a flat spring with a small eye at the rear. Any arch to the spring makes it longer as suspension compresses and that swinging shackle will meet the bottom of the frame.
Which one is the cheaper way to go?

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
It depends where you are and who the people are you're dealing with. On one hand I can sell a 4x4 shortbox frame with diffs for $2000, because everyone wants them and restored they fetch a premium. But regular 4x4 frames or complete trucks I can find for free. People eventually have to PAY someone to remove them from rotting on their property.
The deeper I get into collecting parts and such, the more people learn about me and the more calls I get to haul away someone's rusting metal. I have three 4x4s waiting for me to haul home this summer, and they are all within minutes of my place. One truck runs good with a rebuilt engine with virtually
zero miles on it. The cab is SHOT! and the clutch is next. No box and no tires but I will be able to drive it on to my trailer.
I got my almost rust free C20 with a BBC in it and 99,000mi on it for 850$ it don’t run, but it just needs a timing chain and maybe a camshaft

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
Where are you at where you are finding these deals? And these squares that people just don’t want anymore?

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
@shiftpro, I can’t see what you responded with and think it’s because there is too many posts in here, it says 56/56 and u posted again, but it still only said 56

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Where are you at where you are finding these deals? And these squares that people just don’t want anymore?

I'm in central southern BC, about three hours north of Spokane Washington. Almost everyone out here has owned a 4x4 at some point. Not too many Fords though, mind you, I have Ford Blindness Syndrome so maybe I just can't see them.

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
I'm in central southern BC, about three hours north of Spokane Washington. Almost everyone out here has owned a 4x4 at some point. Not too many Fords though, mind you, I have Ford Blindness Syndrome so maybe I just can't see them.
[emoji23] I’m in Illinois so just about everyone who had one at some point is now rusted out because of the salt they put on the roads. Ain’t very many Fords here either,[emoji2369] but maybe I also have Ford Blindness syndrome

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
[emoji23] I’m in Illinois so just about everyone who had one at some point is now rusted out because of the salt they put on the roads. Ain’t very many Fords here either,[emoji2369] but maybe I also have Ford Blindness syndrome

We have lots of rust here too, and yes the Fords didn't hold up as well as GM products back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes