262 to 350 crate: help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
So my 262 v6 is done.. no chance in saving it and do not want to rebuild it. I want to replace it with a 350 crate engine. I would like everything (including labour) to be about 3,000 dollars.

As of right now, I want to go with one off JEGS. I want an engine & components package...as i will need intake manifold, carburetor, etc. Basically I want to get a package that has mostly everything..pretty much turn key.

What will transfer off of the 262 ci and what won't? What is the best option?

Have been looking at this engine: gm 10067353K4
base hp of 195 and says it can produce up to 260 hp

was thinking id be able to get more right off the bat but this engine seems to be like the only one they have in my price range.

Please give me some insight, as I have never done anything like this. Trying to save as much money as I can but at the same time not cut corners.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought that motor and I'm happy with it. Not going to win any races, but it gets good mileage.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I just bought that motor and I'm happy with it. Not going to win any races, but it gets good mileage.

What do you get? Am considering something like that.
Sorry to be offtopic :)

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Comes just like it looks. Just a long block. Comes with valve covers and an oil pan and timing tabs. You need an intake, carb, water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, headers and all that. I bought that motor for $1500 and found an edelbrock performer intake super cheap. Had another member here build me a carb. Spent $100 on long tube headers from summit. Alternator got shipped to me by mistake and they let me keep it, balancer, water pump and the rest of the odds and ends came from the Irish. I have less than $2500 in mine and went with new everything, but I did the swap myself, which I highly advise you to do if you are able. Get a buddy and make a weekend of it. You won't regret it.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Ha. You meant mileage. I can't say for sure as my speedo and gas gauge are broken. I just know that I go an awful long time without getting gas, and when I go to fill it up it will only hold $10-$12. One of these days I will buy a new gauge cluster and know for sure.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Comes just like it looks. Just a long block. Comes with valve covers and an oil pan and timing tabs. You need an intake, carb, water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, headers and all that. I bought that motor for $1500 and found an edelbrock performer intake super cheap. Had another member here build me a carb. Spent $100 on long tube headers from summit. Alternator got shipped to me by mistake and they let me keep it, balancer, water pump and the rest of the odds and ends came from the Irish. I have less than $2500 in mine and went with new everything, but I did the swap myself, which I highly advise you to do if you are able. Get a buddy and make a weekend of it. You won't regret it.

What headers did you buy? And how did they fit?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What headers did you buy? And how did they fit?

Summit has a set of long tubes for there trucks and they fit great. Will post a link in a bit. I think they are still $100

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So my 262 v6 is done.. no chance in saving it and do not want to rebuild it. I want to replace it with a 350 crate engine. I would like everything (including labour) to be about 3,000 dollars.

As of right now, I want to go with one off JEGS. I want an engine & components package...as i will need intake manifold, carburetor, etc. Basically I want to get a package that has mostly everything..pretty much turn key.

What will transfer off of the 262 ci and what won't? What is the best option?

Have been looking at this engine: gm 10067353K4
base hp of 195 and says it can produce up to 260 hp

was thinking id be able to get more right off the bat but this engine seems to be like the only one they have in my price range.

Please give me some insight, as I have never done anything like this. Trying to save as much money as I can but at the same time not cut corners.

About the only thing that is interchangeable is the mechanical fuel pump, spark plugs, starter, distributor and the water pump.

Internally the pistons and connecting rods are the same as well as lifters pushrods and rocker arms.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
thanks for some input. Thought of attempting the swap myself but I don't have a garage or the proper skill set. Trying to get this all done asap. Should i get one of their packages or pick out intake, etc, separately? Can someone spell out for me every component id need to make the swap? what about powers steering, belts, etc?

Want to get everything at once so I don't have a mechanic saying "hey you need this" like twenty times

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Performance/809/10067353KC/10002/-1

this engine comes with intake, harmonic balancer, and dizzy

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Performance/809/10067353K1/10002/-1

or this that comes with dizzy, intake, and carb

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i'm in the middle of a v-8 to v-6 swap:

So far:
You will need new engine perches (no the old ones cannot be slid foward---unless you want and can do fabrication and welding). Not a big deal as you can find these perches everywhere.

the v-6 mounts may work, but they're in reverse of a v-8's and i'm wondering why?

Exhaust will NOT bolt up. Not a big deal because the v-8's have a zillion kits and/or headers that will fit. While the v-6 has none.

You'll need a longer, v-8 throttle cable. And the throttle cable bracket is different. If you can't find one---(and you should be able to because they're easy to find) then Edlebrock's part #8036 works well. it's about $25.

Fuel pump won't changeover, you'll see why when you get to it. Fuel pump-to-carb line won't changeover---again, you'll see why when you get to it. But this is not a big deal as the v-8 pump to carb line can be found everywhere---aftermarket, salvage yard etc.

i'm not sure in your case, but my v-8 radiator accepts the v-6 radiator hoses no problem. v-6 radiator might be too small for 8 cylinders? Also, 6 cylinder fan shroud will not work for obvious reasons.

The rubber hoses from the fuel hardlines to the fuel pump will have to be shortened---both supply and return (if you have a return line).

The metal tube from the carb to the vacuum brake booster is different from the 6 cylinder. Not a big deal because you can find v-8 tubes everywhere. Worst case you could probably run rubber all the way?

You will need different, slightly longer throttle return springs. Not sure if GM still carries these, but if not then surely the aftermarket does.

The starter and alternator should swap over. As well as most front of engine brackets, pulleys and accessories.

The distributor won't changeover without some mods----like changing a few parts inside the distributor. Otherwise, just get a v-8 distributor as they are so easy to find. Not so with the 6 as usual......

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I thought the fuel pump was the same ? from my old memory.

One fascinating fact is that a 2.8L starter will fit on the 90 degree 2.8L V6 and also fits on the 4.3 and V8 engines as well. It even turns the 4.3 no prob. Might do the same for a V8 as well!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What year and model is your truck? I can dig up P/Ns on motor mount brackets -- both frame side and engine side.

I'm surprised to hear the distributor can be converted. ???

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What year and model is your truck? I can dig up P/Ns on motor mount brackets -- both frame side and engine side.

I'm surprised to hear the distributor can be converted. ???

It uses a different cap for the V6 but everything else is the same on it.

A 4.3L V6 is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It uses a different cap for the V6 but everything else is the same on it.

A 4.3L V6 is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off

Not quite. I doubt this V-8 pickup coil assembly would work on a V-6.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns