2001 EZ-GO Workhorse ST350 Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have been doing a slow restoration on a well-used Workhorse with a Robin 350. I put the rebuilt engine back in, but it runs horribly. It spits and sputters, and occasionally back-fires. It does not even move the cart without assistance. I have pulled the plugs out (Brand new NGK) and they are fouled badly. I also confirmed that both cylinders are firing. The only thing I can think of is that the carb is running rich and spitting fuel faster than it can ignite, though I cant find an adjustment for idle/air mix on the carb. If anyone has an idea how to make this thing run right, please chime in. Thanks.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Ive uh.... had quite the experience with my ezgo marathon , but at this point i finally have the WOT and low speed AFR dialed in right .... here in "other vehicle's" ive posted an entire thread on it.

I dont know much your motor, but if its 2 stroke i can provide quite a bit of knowledge ive learned thru blood sweat and tears....
I feel like practically a 2 stroke gasser guru at this point because of all the diagnosing

If shes a 4 stroker, its a different story that im not on the up on, but 4 stroke is a subject we all at GMSB know.

Hows it getting fuel? I googled your model and added "fuel pump" at the end and it looked like it doesnt use crank case pressure to actuate it, but it does appear its likely got a diaphragm internally.
Make sure that isnt busted, it may regulate pressure like mine does.

The "idle" adjustment you speak of is a single screw on the side of the carb probably....

Its the low speed adjustment screw, probably has a spring behind it.

Read about adjusting those, but for my 2 stroke its all the way in, then 1.5-2 turns out

Too far out, itll just crank and and crank a while because its too much air, finally catches.

Too far in, and youll get lean pops or a backfire thru the carb whent the blades close

Think of it like a controlled vacuum leak like a IAC valve or your idle adjust ment on a carb.

Secondly, if its the oem carb and pump, at all costs dont throw them away, i regret throwing my oem pump away because the aftermarket components are crap.
They are sub standard and operate at a lower fuel pressure than the oem stuff, thus meaning..... less power.

I can help more but probably need more details.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thankfully, I still have my old Fuji built carb and fuel pump. I've been burned by Chinese trash too many times to even consider tossing my Japanese built parts (I've learned this lesson with ATVs too).

The engine is a 4 stroke thats fed by a Diaphram fuel pump. The carb does indeed have an idle adjustment screw, but I'm yet to find a "sweet spot" that the engine likes. I may look at your thread toy with it a little more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising