1st gen Cummins A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1993 dodge w250 with the ol 5.9 turba deezel. I recently did a r134 retrofit on it and it was working good for a few days then the little plug on the receiver blew out. I replaced the receiver and recharged. Factory charge was 38oz so I replaced with 30oz after doing the math and pressure looked good with that charge. When I did the retrofit I replaced the metering valve, receiver, pump and flushed all lines and evap/condenser. I watched the system run for about an hour and all of a sudden pressure started climbing and by the time I could run and shut the truck off it had reached 350psi on the high side and the air coming out was warm. There should be a high pressure cutoff in this system correct? There is what looks to be a sensing bulb that comes off the suction line and it has a wire coming out of it. Is this the high cutoff? The low pressure cutoff is the one in the metering valve I know that. Hoping one of you guys that knows more about ac will chime in and let me know where to go next.
Thanks
Hunter

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The high pressure cutoff is just a safety feature for the sake of the compressor. The problem to diagnose is why the pressure got so high.

Normally it's because the fan clutch took a dump.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The high pressure cutoff is just a safety feature for the sake of the compressor. The problem to diagnose is why the pressure got so high.

Normally it's because the fan clutch took a dump.
Was thinking that too but I put a new clutch on right before I charged it the second time. I’ve verified it works and the fan howls now. The ambient was about 90 degrees when this happened. Radiator and condenser are not plugged air flow wise.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hunter, there is most likely a restriction, probably the condenser, and by that I mean internally not airflow across the coils

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, something is up. With normal operation, there should not be any reason for the pressure to climb that high.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10