1990 Chevy, instrument lighting has a delay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
For some time now, I've noticed that when I start my truck and turn on the head lights, the instrument panel lights have a 30-40 second delay, after the headlights are on. This week the lights and the parking lamps have a 4-5 min delay. Was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on this issue. Head light switch? relay somewhere?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
def sounds like a connection/wire heating up and finally making the connection.

Might do a half split and test right at the head light switch. If you have 12v incoming, move forward. If lower, trace back to the battery. Try to use the same ground while taking readings....a tested, known good ground.

To test for a bad ground, check voltage using the ckt's ground. Then test it using battery ground. If it significantly drops between the two, you've got a bad ground.

It's really helpful to make a long set of extensions for your leads. Speaker wire and gator clips will do the trick. I made a set to troubleshoot the fuel gauge on mine. I ran one lead to the tank, the other to the dash area to test for bad wires.

No offense intended if your aware of the troubleshooting methods above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising