1988 TBI to carb swap on non registered rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just bought a 1988 K5 350TBI/208/700R4. I'll be driving the rig from CA to AK next spring where it will be used 2 months a year on the beach as my boat launching vehicle for my commercial fishing business. Due to the salt spray and air, I have found that every vehicle I own that gets used on the beach and has anything more than the most basic electrical, suffers from almost immediate break downs due to the sensors failing.

The plan is to pull off the AC, all smog components including the cat converter and replace the TBI system with HEI/Edelbrock perfomer intake and carb. By doing this I hope to eliminate as many sensors as I can. I'm wondering however, can I remove the ECM or would I then loose the use of dash/gauges/cruise/etc? I plan on running an aftermarket lock up system for the 700R4 if I can in fact pull the ECM. Could I also use a throttle position sensor on the carb to interface with the cruise?

Once in AK, I won't be registering the Blazer as it will just be used on the beach for the short fishing season and trailered to/from the beach so I'm not worried about modding it from its original emissions package.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you won't be driving the thing down the road at high speeds anymore, don't worry about the converter lockup. It'll be fine.

So you have trouble with sensors failing, but not carbs corroding and seizing?

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you won't be driving the thing down the road at high speeds anymore, don't worry about the converter lockup. It'll be fine.

So you have trouble with sensors failing, but not carbs corroding and seizing?

Correct. I try to spray everything down with one of the outboard motor sprays like the YamaLube stuff I use on my outboards. Seems to work great on carbs and stuff.

The electrical sensors just seem to go bad very quickly and then I'm stuck until I can get to Napa. I have a 1990 Dodge W250 that stranded me last summer when the coolant temp sensor went bad and the TBI unit on that poured so much fuel in to make up for the "cold condition" that the thing wouldn't idle or run at low speeds. Getting rid of all that stuff just makes more sense in my situation.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like you need an old mechanical injected diesel

No electrical anything except the starter and alternator

You gotta launch this boat every day ?

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like you need an old mechanical injected diesel

No electrical anything except the starter and alternator

You gotta launch this boat every day ?

I have 2 skiffs that I have to launch 3 - 4 days a week. My other launch rig is a Jeep M715 that all electrical (lights etc) have been stripped out. I guess I could go with an old Gm 6.2

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How rusty is the k5 you just bought ?

Almost sounds too nice to use for dunking in the ocean every day

Most 87+ K5s i see already have the TBI removed

Cheapest thing would be to get a 2 door Yukon with a salvage title for $500 and throw a carb on it

If you’re not going to register it or make it street legal a slightly wrecked one would be cheap

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How rusty is the k5 you just bought ?

Almost sounds too nice to use for dunking in the ocean every day

Most 87+ K5s i see already have the TBI removed

Cheapest thing would be to get a 2 door Yukon with a salvage title for $500 and throw a carb on it

If you’re not going to register it or make it street legal a slightly wrecked one would be cheap

Since its an inland CA rig, it has no rust other than some surface stuff from the crappy GM paint flaking off. The trouble is, if I buy anything in AK, its a rusty wreck to begin with so that is why 3 of my AK vehicles I've purchased in CA and either driven up or shipped up. So, if I buy at junker down her in CA or one without a title, I can't really drive it up with any reliability or being legal.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I just bought a 1988 K5 350TBI/208/700R4. I'll be driving the rig from CA to AK next spring where it will be used 2 months a year on the beach as my boat launching vehicle for my commercial fishing business. Due to the salt spray and air, I have found that every vehicle I own that gets used on the beach and has anything more than the most basic electrical, suffers from almost immediate break downs due to the sensors failing.

The plan is to pull off the AC, all smog components including the cat converter and replace the TBI system with HEI/Edelbrock perfomer intake and carb. By doing this I hope to eliminate as many sensors as I can. I'm wondering however, can I remove the ECM or would I then loose the use of dash/gauges/cruise/etc? I plan on running an aftermarket lock up system for the 700R4 if I can in fact pull the ECM. Could I also use a throttle position sensor on the carb to interface with the cruise?

Once in AK, I won't be registering the Blazer as it will just be used on the beach for the short fishing season and trailered to/from the beach so I'm not worried about modding it from its original emissions package.

The ecm doesnt affect the gauges, I believe the cruise also has nothing to do with the ecm just vacuum. I agree about finding a wrecked one to use, it seems like such a waste for a rust free one with good title to be used as what so many other are already, while guys are trying to restore the ones they have.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Just as a point of information, according to the EPA a vehicle manufactured with emission controls must retain those emission controls until it goes into the crusher. Off road, unregistered makes no difference. Not that anybody is likely to check on you, but that's the law.

Bean

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
84 an 87
Truck Model
1500 C10
Engine Size
350ci

The ecm doesnt affect the gauges, I believe the cruise also has nothing to do with the ecm just vacuum. I agree about finding a wrecked one to use, it seems like such a waste for a rust free one with good title to be used as what so many other are already, while guys are trying to restore the ones they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko