1987 suburban 454 T.B.I. Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisg82

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My 87’ suburban 28,000 miles recent full tune up ,fuel pump ,fuel filter .cold start usually high idle for a minute or so ,then kicks down .right around 950-1000 rpm when warm .never skipped a beat or sputters.went for a drive yesterday ,usual behavior.came to a light ,started rough idle like she was going to stall out ,once back in the gas seemed to clear up .was fine for a few minutes ,then started again ..and won’t clear up .now getting into the throttle ,started to buck and pop (backfire) out of the throttle body ....never had an issue with the truck in the year I’ve owned it ...any info or a place to start would be greatly appreciated .common issue ??

Thanks Chris

89 GMC Burb

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
I would check the vacuum hoses. Sounds like it has a leak somewhere or the timing jumped.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is the SES light coming on at any point during this? Does it come on when you first turn the key on? If it’s actually idling like that, that’s a bit high first of all. You can try an IACV relearn which involves jumping your A/B pins (top right two pins, paperclip works best) on the ALDL, turning the key to ON for thirty seconds, unplugging the IACV connector, turning the key off, removing the jumper from the ALDL, and reconnecting the valve plug. If that doesn’t solve your idle speed, I’d consider replacing the valve and performing the aforementioned procedure. I’d like to see what your vacuum is also, but do a thorough check for leaks including at the base gasket and brake booster. I had this issue when I first got my car, and it ended up being a fried ECM that had gotten wet when it rained.

Chrisg82

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I do not have that light on my dash ,lights come on with ignition power but go out .no lights on the dash when this is happening

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
borrow a fuel pressure tester from the parts store and check while running.

Chrisg82

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help ,turned out to be the ignition coil .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reese68