1987 K30: Please help me value!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTSquare1112

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
Hey All,

Note: I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm not sure where to post this question at. I tried posting it in the for sale section but I do not seem to have the proper privilege/access rights to do so yet. Please let me know if I should re-post this elsewhere.

Question:
I'm looking to buy a 1987 K30 Silveardo - Single Cab Long Bed and would like to get an opinion on what it's worth. Here are the details:

Truck History: According to the seller, the tuck is for sale at a medium duty truck shop. It has had two owners since its original purchase. The first owner was the original owner of the shop whom then sold the shop and the truck to the current owner. I can't recall exactly but I believe the two owners knew each other personally outside of the shop and prior to the sale of both. The current owners intent was to restore the truck and keep it as the manufacturer designed it but no longer has the desire/time to do so.
Asking Price: $5000.00
Model: 1987 K30 Silverado - Single Cab Long Bed
Mileage: 104,000 original miles
Engine: 454ci TBI
Trans: TH400 (I think)
T-Case: NP205

Features: Electric Locks, Electric Windows, Delay Wipers, Headache Rack w/ Work Lights and Strobe Light, Truck Box, Aftermarket Sound System, Plow Frame (No Plow), Dual Fuel Tanks.

Interior Condition: The interior is very clean and everything on the inside is currently working.

Exterior Condition:
- The exterior has some rust issues. For ease of description we'll say that both sides need cab corners, inner and outer rocker panels and new doors/door skins (some rust on the bottom of the doors but it sounds like its cheaper to replace the door than repair it).
- The drivers side bed side and corner have some rust as well. I'm not sure how much rust, if any, the bed interior has, although after review the bed picture, it seems that there might be some.
- One big concern is that at some point when plowing, the plow got caught and had bent the frame. The frame was straightened and reinforced on both rails with a 1/4" steel plate that runs from the front of the frame to where the cab mounts. I didn't notice any pulling/tracking with the truck and the tires didn't show any abnormal wear, so I'm inclined to say that I believe the repair was done successfully.

Mechanicals:
- The engine starts right up on 38 degree day (I arrived before he had a chance to let it warm up).
- Trans and 4-Wheel seem to shift fine (I didn't get it above 45mph though). The steering seems really loose, so I'm sure there will be some bad tie rod ends/ball joints/rag joints or something else that needs to be replaced.
- The brakes feel really soft so they may need to be replaced/rebuilt/flushed. *I must admit that I am used to disc brakes though. My last square body was a 78' K5 I bought lifted w/ 38's and naturally that thing braked poorly as well, so it's hard for me to tell just how well drum brakes work.
- Both fuel tanks were replaced last year and the transfer switch works just fine.

Comparable Values: I've been trying to look at the market near me (Philadelphia Area, PA) and out of 21 (14) K10s, (3) K20s, (4) K30s for sale, the average listed price is at $5650 and the average condition being slightly betting then this K30. Some show worthy trucks are listed upwards of $12,000 - $17,000 while some beater K10s (complete trucks still) are listed at around $3500 - $5000. To me these prices seem unreasonably high and, prior to looking at the market, I would've assume this truck to be valued at around $3500. But looking at whats listed, I'm inclined to say this truck might be reasonable priced at $5000-$6000! Has the market turned upward since I last bought a square body! Please let me know what you guys think this truck might be worth. I intend to use it as a daily driver in lieu of buying a $25,000 2010 Silverado 1500 and I don't want to overpay!

Thank you in advance for your input guys! Feel free to fire away and call me nuts as well (...my old lady already is!) :gr_guns:

General Pics:

You must be registered for see images

The Rust!!!

Passenger's Side Cab/Rocker/Door:

Driver's Side Cab/Rocker/Door:

Driver's Side Bed Corner:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
To me it looks to be priced unreasonably high. It might just be a local market. For the price it should come with another rust free roller for parts at least

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yeahh with the rust its not worth 5 grand, I mean yeah pretty much most of the squarebodies have rust but you're also only paying around 1000 bucks for those. The squarebody market up north seems so much different than anywhere else, usually a decent looking pickup would like that would be about 2500. That k30 is really straight and clean other than the rust. You can find squarebodies around ND for 1500 or less on the average ones you'll see and the nicer ones around the 3500 mark.

**** I bought my suburban for $500 with less rust than that k30 and the body and paint are just as nice as the straight parts on that k30, and it came with a 400 too with a 700r4.

Last edited:

BTSquare1112

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7L
So I'm not crazy. The prices around here do seem a little unruly. I must admit that the truck has me suckered though. It is essentially the exact truck I want (modern comfort features like power windows/locks, delay wipers, stock ride height and the 454 to boot) but it is a bit clapped out. I haven't been able to find a square body with these features anywhere near me in the past few months.

What type of price differences between comparable K10s, K20s and K30s should I expect? I know the NNBS trucks can be upwards of $10,000 easy from a 1500 to 3500.

I just saw this K30 posted on Craigslist a few days ago for $3600. The interior looks even worse and it has no brakes:

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
No wonder they stay listed for sale and never sell. Usually i have seen 500-1500 price difference between the 1/2 and comparable 1 tons. I would recommends look farther and enjoy the trip when you go pick one up.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Especially with every body wanting 1 ton axles, and a 454 lol. Everyone thinks they have 5000 dollars worth of pickup just because they have big axles and a clapped out big block, with a **** body and nothing maintained or maintained correctly.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I paid $3900 in WI for mine with a decent frame and rust free body. Granted it is a K10, but $5k is crazy, IMO.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Even 3900 is crazy in my opinion lol, but that being said I'm always on the lookout for something that's cheap and in pretty decent shape that I can fix up, not really looking for rust free squarebodies... but my reasoning for that is a rust free squarbody in the north is kinda hard to come by if they were work trucks or every day trucks, so the rust free ones are just wayyy too expensive for my taste.

But with that k30 I would expect to have to swap the doors out, they look a little too far gone, and of course rocker panels and cab corners. Did you check the floor on it?

That orange one is a huge turnoff especially with that price tag. It looks pretty beat up.. that's like a 1000-1500 truck at best.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've been seeing an increase in asking prices recently in the area, but the trucks don't seem to be selling. I think your original thought of $3500 is reasonable. I still see nicer K30's for the 5K asking range.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Even 3900 is crazy in my opinion lol, but that being said I'm always on the lookout for something that's cheap and in pretty decent shape that I can fix up, not really looking for rust free squarebodies... but my reasoning for that is a rust free squarbody in the north is kinda hard to come by if they were work trucks or every day trucks, so the rust free ones are just wayyy too expensive for my taste.

But with that k30 I would expect to have to swap the doors out, they look a little too far gone, and of course rocker panels and cab corners. Did you check the floor on it?

That orange one is a huge turnoff especially with that price tag. It looks pretty beat up.. that's like a 1000-1500 truck at best.

I couldn't find a decent shape with the typical rot for under $2500. I saw one with the whole bedsides and cab corners/floors and the guy was $3500 firm. I guess that's the price you pay for buying used in the rust belt.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I couldn't find a decent shape with the typical rot for under $2500. I saw one with the whole bedsides and cab corners/floors and the guy was $3500 firm. I guess that's the price you pay for buying used in the rust belt.

I really think its all the people that buy these things, that want to fix them up and do whatever with them, then they lose interest after they put "big" money into them and expect people to pay out the ass.

Like this buddy I have he bought a rolled 87 suburban for like $350 and it runs and drives just fine, but there isn't a single body panel that isn't just totally screwed and the interior is falling apart, just a piece of ****, and he goes and spray paints a winter camo on it and puts it online for $2000... Lets just say he's not very close in my friend circle, especially after I heard about that.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
3500$ in my book

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Feel the floor pans underneath push up on em guessing there thin if having been replaced

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I paid $3400 plus $600 shipping from Arkansas to FL for my crew dually. The truck is not perfect, but it has all the creature comforts and runs like a raped ape. I think what you are looking at is way over priced. Even if you had to have one shipped to you it would still be worth it to look elsewhere.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I paid $3400 plus $600 shipping from Arkansas to FL for my crew dually. The truck is not perfect, but it has all the creature comforts and runs like a raped ape. I think what you are looking at is way over priced. Even if you had to have one shipped to you it would still be worth it to look elsewhere.

There is a big difference in price between a C30 and a K30 though. There were FAR less K30's and the prices are higher because of it. Although I do agree the truck is overpriced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20